Arrival in New York & the drive home

New York Travel Blog

I will say first that the staff at the Ramada at JFK are excellent; uncommonly friendly and helpful almost without exception. Having said that, the place is a DUMP. We’d booked it solely because it was the only place we could find that would allow us to park the car for 2 weeks. Our travel agent had warned that she’s had bad reports of it but that the hotel claimed it had been refurbished. As often happened, though, the refurbishment money went into the lobby rather than the rooms. This might have been an OK hotel eons ago but it is in deplorable condition now. A lousy way to end the trip but, what the heck, it’s only for a night. We met Helen and Earl in the restaurant for a last meal together and, if course, ate anything BUT Italian food.

Since we wanted to leave after the morning rush hour traffic, we’d agreed that we would wake up and have breakfast on independent schedules and meet in the lobby, ready to go, at 10:00. Given the time change, of course, we were up at 5:50 and at breakfast by 7:30. After breakfast, we just read in the room and went down at 9:45. Helen and Earl were waiting and had already loaded their bags so we were off. The drive home was unremarkable other than that it was an absolutely stellar day. Once again I was reminded that, though I love to see other places, the hills of Northeastern Pennsylvania are perhaps the prettiest place on earth. By about 12:30, we were back to the center of our universe. We truly are blessed!! In closing, I want to say a special "thank you" to Vittorio who made so many arrangements and without whom this trip would probably not have even happened and to both Patrizia and him for a great time in Venice!

New York Hotels & Accommodations review
A dump but with a great staff
I had passed through the lobby of this hotel at some time in the past (actually just to use the rest room) so I know that at least was OK. Unfortunat… read entire review
New York