First day exploring Beijing

Beijing Travel Blog

Arrived last night to the Wangfujing Grand Hotel.  It's really convenient.  Close to China World shopping area and the Forbidden city.  This is my second time in Beijing so I'll probably won't visit the Forbidden City or Great Wall.  Anyway, last night, I met an American Chinese who is currently in Beijing to take care of her sick mother.  She gave me a list of restaurants to try and places to see -- always get someone to write places' names in Chinese for you while in China.

This morning, I visited Belhai Park, Jingshan Park, and the Hutong Area.  I must have walked 10 miles, having walked for 6 straight hours.  In the Hutong area, I visited a street named Nan Luo Gu Xiang, one of the place that the lady I met the night before recommended.  It turned out to be a really nice place to walk and window shop.  Although Beijing is trying to recover much of the Hutong area, there seems to be quite a bit of construction going on in this area.  That street I was on has turrned into a tourist oriented area of shops and restaurants.  I guess this is what the government is trying to capitalize on the popularity of this area.

Found a restaurant that served a spicy roasted pork hot pot in Nan Luo Gu Xiang.  Now, in my previous trip to China, I didn't have much luck with food.  China is really hard to get around if you don't speak the language.  It seems like nearly no one speaks English in China, which makes traveling here really tough.  Today, I got lucky.  Although no one spoke English in this restaurant, there was a customer that spoke enough to get by.  The dish was amazingly good.  Will post photos and name of restaurant later.
photo by: Eric