Alcatraz, Clam Chowder and the meetup!!

San Francisco Travel Blog

I didn't have to be up till about 10:30 or so.. but I ended up waking up at 8am (damn the time change!!).  I ended up getting ready and then heading down to a Starbucks that was conveniently located in our hotel lobby.  This of course was like heaven to me, since I am a coffee addict! Once I finished my breakfast, I met Adrian back up stairs and we headed out to Pier 33 where we were meeting some other TBs to tour Alcatraz with.  Of course it was dreary and raining.. but once people started to show up, the smiles and laughs all came out!  Meeting us that morning were Robert, Mark, Matt, RJ, Sal, Hubert, Giao, Portia, Shannon, and Bill.  We finally boarded the ferry and headed out to The Rock.  Once we arrived we walked around for a bit before getting our audio headsets and making a "self-tour".

It was really cool learning about the history of this place and seeing the cells and things.  I really enjoyed myself.  Of course the whole time I kept thinking about the movie "The Rock" with Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery! Haha..  we eventually started lining back up to the ferry back to the city.  While waiting in line a bunch of us were making jokes about creating "Alcatraz - The Musical".. My imagination was getting caught up in everything and I just kept laughing!!

Once we got back, the majority of us took a walk down to Fisherman's Wark to get some Clam Chowder in a sourdough bread bowl.  It was really good.. especially since i was starving by this point!!  Once we finished off our meal, everyone spilt to go get ready for the meetup!

Adrian and I made it back to the hotel, took a quick nap, then got ready and headed out the the Elephant and Castle Pub.

By the time we got there, there was already about 15 or so people sitting down and having a drink.  I joined in right away and sat at a table with Barabara, Kelly, Ryan and Deanna.  Soon after, Kelly's friend Patrick arrived and we had a full table.  Everyone was having a good time getting to know each other and talking about future trips and past ones, etc..  you know..  the beginning of a typical TB meetup!!  A couple of hours (and a couple of drinks) later, we all moved downstairs where there was a more "private" room that had a number of tables to sit at, and a pool table.  Knowing that we had the room to ourselves, it suddenly seemed that everyone became louder and more fun!!  As usual there were camera flashes going on all over the place, as well as people posing, making funny faces, laughing, etc.
  As the night went on it seemed (to me) that we all were just a big group of friends who had known each other for years.  Its was great!!

At 12 o'clock the bar closed so we all said goodbye to each other.. which consisted of more last minute photos, hugs and exchanging of cell phone numbers.  After we left, Adrian, myself, Erin, Brett, Shannon, Bill, Mark, Matt, Sal and RJ all decided to hit up Leftys again so we headed over there and stayed until closing at 2am.. seems like we were becoming regulars at this point!!  Apparently we were having so much fun singing with the piano guy that Erin decided to take a nice long video of it!! Haha.. I've heard rumours it's going to be posted on her blog!!!

We eventually called it a night and headed back to the hotel.  Fortunately we weren't planning on meeting anyone till around noon so it means that I can finally catch up on my sleep... What an AWESOME night!!

yadilitta says:
yes, it was a great time!!! I should have been there...
sincitytraveler says:
I agree Ian it was an awesome night...though I'm a little afraid to see Erin's video!
RJ82 says: