Åland Islands

Åland Islands Travel Blog

I am not going to write much about this trip since it has already been a year! But I will say this - it is an astonishing place. It has a remote nature with nothing but rocks and pines for miles. It has 65 inhabited islands but basically only one town. It seems to be such a stubborn northern place - they are officially a part of Finland but the only official language is Swedish! I think their mindset comes from the location of the islands which are situated exactly between Finland and Sweden.

I went to Åland Islands with my family and spent there an awesome four days. It might not seem much but it did actually feel enough at the time. We were a part of an excursion group of which you could classify most as elderly couples. I'm sure it would be great to rent a cabin instead and enjoy the silence and watch the sea. I am a northern girl myself and I do love that kind of nature!

Quite a few Estonian writers visited the islands at the beginning of the 20th century. It was a place where they got their inspiration, a place where they could calm down and let their imagination fly. So I went there with a trembling heart. I remember myself standing in the middle of the forest and imagining one great writer walking on the same little path, just in front of me.

Well, I promised not to write much so I'm going to stop here. I know I didn't describe any of the sites I visited but I don't think it is the most important part. I just wanted to share a few thoughts I had.
595 km (370 miles) traveled