The land of lakes

Lucerne Travel Blog

I had always pictured Switzerland as the land of mountains. High snow-capped peaks with shepherds yodelling to each other across canyons. After Lucerne I'll now think of Switzerland as the land of lakes. In retrospect it makes perfect sense for the tiny villages to be settled on the fertile edges of the glacial lakes of Switzerland - unlimited water, more mild climate and natural defences against any invaders. Lucerne is a magnificent (and achingly beautiful) example of the benefits of living on the shores of the lake. Bounded by Lake Lucerne, the Reuss River and the mountains, the only way into Lucerne was across the Kapellbr├╝cke (Chapel Bridge). At any sign of invaders the citizens could burn the 204 metre bridge, cutting them off from the outside. This was obviously a sufficient deterrent, as the bridge hasn't been taken down since 1333, making it the oldest wooden bridge in Europe.
Vikram says:
You're the 2nd person I'm hearing nice things about Lucerne in the last month or so. My cousin and fly. just returned from there and said the same things - that it's beautiful and was the "gem" of the trip.
Posted on: May 07, 2009
ottielisa says:
I love Lucerne!! this is my favourite city in Switzerland! i should go more often since its actually only 1h from where i'm living;)
Posted on: May 07, 2009