In Zurich

Zurich Travel Blog

Some cities are unloved just due to their place in the schedule. For me, Helsinki was my first touch down in Europe, and I still treasure the city. Athens might have earned accolades if I had seen it before the spectacular ruins in Syria or hadn't been explosively ill during my time there. St Petersburg has a warmer place in my heart than Moscow - is it just because one was my first taste of Russia? In any trip around Europe the number of photos a beautiful cathedral gets is inversely proportional to the amount of time you have been travelling.

In this way I think Zurich suffered slightly from my itinerary. An hour after leaving Lucerne, Zurich felt dirty, gritty and abused. The imposing police presence and innumerable drunk youths probably didn't help. After a day away to visit Liechtenstein, however, Zurich was able to show us her pretty side. In the beautiful weather the parks, buildings and river were simply gorgeous and my earlier scorn for Zurich metamorphosed into admiration.
Vikram says:
Not only that, but Zurich like any other big European city is becoming just another generic caricature of a big metro town.
Posted on: May 07, 2009