London to Split

Kastela Travel Blog

Welcome to Croatia

The day for us, my girlfriend Dominika and I, started at 2am, after having only two hours sleep!  Why so early even after checking in online the day before?  Well, we had to leave home (Watford) at 2.45am to get to London Gatwick on time for our easyJet flight to Split.  And I don't know if many of you who may be reading this have travelled through a UK airport, but over here, any outer garments are considered as a threat to our national security, so along with laptops and any liquids no more than 100ml, they must be screened seperately when going through security, thus creating very inconvenient queues and delays at airports.  Having arrived safely at the airport and passed through security.

..eventually...I found myself wandering the departure lounge of Gatwick South, among other nightcrawlers and undead people, as usual, at five in the morning!  A quick bite and a skinny latte from Pret, then we boarded - next stop - Croatia!

We had an uneventful flight, no wait, I won £2 on the easyJet lottery, prize-money which could only be redeemed onboard so being the charmer that I am, I treated Dominika to a cuppa!  We landed at Split Airport at around 09.30am, this is probably the smallest airport I have travelled through, I'm sure Tallinn was much bigger compared to the aircraft hangar that the Captain referred to as Split Airport.  The airport is situated about 15 miles away from the city of Split, and according to the in-flight magazine, a cab to the city centre would cost anything between 125 to 150 Kuna.

Resnik
  Luckily, there is a local bus service from the airport to the city, number 37.  This will only cost around 20 Kuna per person.  All the bus drivers speak or understand enough english to work out where you want to go and tell you how much you owe them.  To get the bus just head out of the airport, walk across the car-park onto the main road and the bus-stops are easily visible.

Once we caught the bus, the driver assured us he'd let us know when/where to get off for our studio apartment in Resnik.  I guess he (and we did too!) kind of f***ed up here because he told us to get off at a point where we had to walk back on ourselves another 15 minutes!  Resnik is walking distance from the airport, about half hour away so anyone staying in Resnik can walk there.  There's no walkway/pavement along the road but it's not that busy and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise local road safety rules.  Just be careful and stay aware when walking along this road, and remember if the speed limit says 50, in Croatian it really means double it and add 20!!!

Fishing in Kastela!