Off to Angkor Wat

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Angkor Wat

After our day of lounging by the pool and sleeping we were all ready to depart at 8am.  Our driver picked us up and we headed off to the temples.  I learned 2 things rather quickly, they don't like Thai people, and they don't like being called Cambodian.  They prefer Khmer.  Anyways, once we got our 3 days passes we were off to Angkor Wat.  This temple is spectacular and very difficult to describe.  It has massive pillars similar to those of Ayutthaya style in Thailand, but on a much larger scale.  This temple is a superlative piece of architecture, and apparently the rest of the world already knew and joined us for the trip.  It's as if you've entered an Asian Disneyland as you walk through the temple.

Angkor
  But that doesn't deter from it's beauty.  Inside Angkor you can climb the steep worn out old steps up to the top for a better view.  I hesitated for a while before heading up the stairs and nearly pissed myself on the way up.  Surprisingly I didn't die on the way up and spent  a couple minutes atop to relax.  It was during this time I watched a tour group of about 40 old Korean women pretty much sprint up the steps with ease, I felt lame.  Anyways, the view from here was beautiful.  The huge walls and courtyard of Angkor is breathtaking, and for an even better view you can take a hot air balloon up for aerial photos.  I had enough problems with the stairs and decided to avoid this option.  After spending another 45 minutes here we headed off to see another temple in the area.  It was during this trip that I was attacked by little kids to buy books, bracelets, postcards, and other random stuff I didn't need.  And in case you want to learn how to count to 10 in 5 different languages, ask the kids selling postcards.  They also do capitals!  Afterwards we had a nice lunch and relaxed for a couple hours at the hotel before heading out in the evening for more temples.  I can't remember the names but will put up pictures instead.  We were all exhausted and went to bed quite early.

wall carvings