Cable Cars, The Rock and The Meet-Up... it's still raining!!!

San Francisco Travel Blog

Union Square
Waking up Saturday morning I had hoped to "bike the bridge", but seeing the weather I decided against it and instead jumped on a cable car down to the pier front. Hanging off the side of the cable car was a great experience, but slightly crazy when having to tuck yourself into the car to avoid objects or other cable cars coming the opposit direction and insane when trundling down the super steep hills; still I managed to just about grab some photos.
I reached the end of the Powell - Mason line and having an hour before I had to meet the group I headed to Lombard Street, walking up the hill I got to the bottom of Lombard's famous bends. So I headed up the steps at the side and took a load of photos en-route, at the top and all photo'd out I jumped on another Cable Car (The Powell-Hyde line) and got off at the end of the line again.
Walking round past Fisherman's Wharf and the various piers I got to Pier 33 (for Alcatraz) and met the group 15 mins after I'd suggested we should all meet. My bad!!!!!!!!
We made our way on to the ferry and sailed the short distance to Alcatraz, where we had a look around the grounds and then took an audio tour of the former cell blocks. I found it pretty interesting, especially hearing about the riots, but I'd expected to get some sort of "feeling" from the Island, but there didn't really appear to be one. Maybe because of all the tourism I summised. Still we certainly had a laugh and were all messing around like naughty school boys on a trip.
Getting back to the mainland and saying goodbye to Shannon & Bill the remaining ones headed to get some famous clam chowder.
I'd never had it before and not being the biggest fan of shell fish I was a bit unsure, but after my first taste I was sold... it was UBER yummy!
Finishing lunch we all went our seperate ways back to our hostels and hotels to change, rest and prepare for the meet up. Sal, RJ and I headed off together as we were all located around Union Square, seeing the size of the queue for the Cable car and having waited for a few minutes we gave up and caught the #30 bus to Union Square. By the time I got to my hostel it was 16.45, so I only had 45 minutes to shower, change and get to the Elephant & Castle. I made it dead on 17.30, with the help of a cab.
Arriving at the Elephant & Castle I found the TB members who were already there and introduced myself and was soon chatting.
As others started drifting in and the group got bigger and bigger we headed to the tables at the back of the restaurant and took ownership of it. A dish of Steak & Chips later and we were presented with the bill, it was all together and couldn't be easily seperated by the restaurant; DOH! An hour later and all credit to Bill, Shannon and Michelle for working the money out and getting it off everyone, we'd settled up and the drinks were now flowing.
We headed down to the room downstairs which had been dedicated to us, and we were all introducing ourselves and chatting, laughing and joking and having a great time. The flash bulbs of many cameras were constantly flashing and poses were being struck. The beer and shots continued flowing and flowing! :)
Come midnight, the bar was shutting and we all took our final photos, said our goodbyes, promised to make an effort to see each other again and left, making our way to... Yup, you got it ... Lefty's (now our home away from home). The beer was flowing even quicker and with the aid of the Piano man we were singing (well trying to) Queen - bohemian rhapsody and Oasis - Wonderwall. (Look out for Erin's great video from our Queen rendition). Finally as with all good things, our night came to an end and we headed off; having arranged to meet the next day back at Lefty's!

AT&T Park for the Giants game
Im ready to catch any stray hits
I'm ready to catch any stray hits
After the game fun