AfricaKenyaKisii

Guac-a-mole, guac- guac-a-mole!

Kisii Travel Blog

Awaiting Crowd

I woke up feeling much better this morning, and determined to stay hydrated. After breakfast we headed out to a school that wanted and needed a library, but didn’t have one yet. Even though it was a Saturday and the kids were not required to be there, the school grounds were packed with interested kids and parents. After a quick tour and some meetings we got to watch the kids do some performances. They sang and danced for us, as well as recited some poetry. It was very cute!

Then we got to spend sometime with the kids. One boy had made a yo-yo type thing out of an old tire that he would roll along the ground, and then keep it rolling by pulling up and down with a string. I tried to do it and failed miserably, the kids thought that was very funny.

New Friends
My dad and spent a long time trying to talk to a 13 year old girl at the school. She told us a little about her family and life in Kenya. She kept asking us to take her with us to the United States. It was really hard emotionally telling her no. It was hard to talk to her too much, though, because all of the other kids were so interested. Don and Pat seemed very impressed with the school, and I think it may be getting books, children’s games and other learning supplies next October when the next shipment arrives.

After we left the school we went to lunch at one of the other restaurants in Kissi, and then Dad and I decided to walk back to the hotel from there.

Hands
It was really fun seeing the true Kenya. People were selling things all over, the produce here is amazing! When we got back to the hotel I was really proud of how tan my arms and legs were looking, then I took a shower and my tan came off. Unfortunately I am building up a very nice sock tan line that I am sure I will spend the rest of the summer trying to get rid of. After my shower I took a long nap and when I woke up I found out Don and Pat had gone to Nakumatt, the local grocery store and picked up the things for guacamole!! While I was sleeping my dad had met a man named Eric, who grew up in Kenya and moved to Minnesota but was back in Kenya visiting his wife and son so they joined us for our guacamole party, and even invited us to their house tomorrow night for a Kenyan Barbeque. We are back in the room now, and are going to watch Catch Me If You Can on the laptop and call it a night.

alex_cheer says:
GAHHHHH! you really really REALLLY! have mme craving guacamole! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted on: Jun 12, 2009
marksreynolds says:
That's funny your tan washed off! :) When I was little, my mom thought my neck was really dirty, so she tried to wash it. But, the dirt would not come off, so she scrubbed harder. Eventually she realized it was my splotchy tan she was trying to scrub off!! Funny now, but it hurt at the time!
Posted on: Jun 09, 2009
kayrae says:
haha form avacado form form avacado form avacado form form avacado peel avacado peel peel avacado... you know how the rest goes lol
Posted on: Jun 07, 2009