AfricaKenyaKisii

Dancing and Dinner

Kisii Travel Blog

Classroom

This morning I woke up all tangled up in my mosquito net and had to get my dad to unwrap me. I got dressed and we grabbed some breakfast and headed out. The first school we went to was up on another mountain and with a very bumpy ride to the top. This school also had already received a library, and it looked really good. Looking in one school we noticed that the floor was made up of big rocks, and most of the kids were barefoot. This school was a very rural one, you could tell by their torn up, miss-matched uniforms and lack of shoes. Despite this, the kids were extremely talented. We were all treated to some wonderful performances put on by the kids. A group of scouts marched for us, some young girls sang and danced for us, and a big group of girls (who won first place in a local competition) sang traditional Kenyan songs for us. It was really cool to see!

While the adults met, I was talking with the kids again, and they all want to know, “stories of America.

” So I tell them how long it took me to get here, and how much I love Kenya. They asked me what I eat, so I try to tell them about spaghetti, and hamburgers, and pizza. A lot of times they asked me if I have brothers and sisters, and where my mom is, and what my sisters name is, and where my grandmother is, and what her name is, and about the climate in Colorado. It is really hard to describe snow to kids just learning English.

We stopped at a second school very briefly to check on their library. We played a little bit of catch with the kids with a ball they had made of grocery sacks and twine. After this I started really not feeling well so we went back to the room and I fell asleep. I drank a lot of water and sent my Dad out to buy an avocado; we cut it in half and ate it with a spoon. It was amazing!! We watched “Toy Story” on my laptop, and I fell back asleep. When I woke up we went up to the restaurant and I ate some noodles. I am feeling mostly better now, I think it was just all the new foods and everything, plus being tired and dehydrated so I am drinking up  and getting ready for another full day tomorrow!

kelleeoo says:
It is a joy to read about your wonderful experiences.
Posted on: Jun 09, 2009
marksreynolds says:
Great blog Molly!
Posted on: Jun 09, 2009
kayrae says:
okay soo basically all i can say is omg to everything!!! it must be such an amazing experience
Posted on: Jun 07, 2009