This should only hurt a little...

Brighton Travel Blog

As of today my dad and I are both offically vacinated for Africa!

Last Monday, we both went up to Boulder to Passport Health. They were extremly helpful there, and took the time to talk to us about everything without forcing us to get things we didn't need. I was lucky becuase I had already had a lot of my vaccinations and only needed Hepitis A, Typhoid Fever, and my Polio Booster. My dad got those and one more. The typhoid fever shot also came in pill form, and would have lasted 5 years instead of the two years that the shot lasted and for the same price, but you had to take every pill at the exact same time everyday after having an empty stomach for four hours, and then take the pill, and eat an hour the pills had to be refigerated. My schedule is way to crazy to make sure I do everything I need to do for them. I got two vaccinations in my left arm, and just the typhoid fever in my right.The typhoid fever shot probably hurt the most out of all of the shots, and both of my arms were a little tender the next day.

My dad and I also both got a perscription for Mefloquine, an anti malaria medication. At Passport Health they recomended three types of anti malaria pills. The first one was super expensive, the second one was Mefloquine, and the a third one that made your skin sensative to sun. Since I love the sun, and am a complete summer girl we went with the Mefloquine. We have "Malaria Pill Sundays" and started taking pills last Sunday, continuing for the next 8 Sundays. Thats two Sundays before our trip, the two Sundays we are there, and for four weeks after. Although Mefloquine has a reputation on causing vivid dreams, neither my dad or I have had any, or any other side affects.

Today we went back up to Boulder to get our Yellow Fever vaccinations. There is apparently a Yellow Fever vaccination shortage and there have to be five people there to get them at the same time so none of the vaccination is wasted. This shot felt a lot more like a pinch than the others, and so far hasn't made my arm too sore!

Vaccinations... Check!

Kaz1m says:
I hope you will still get the Malaria shot :P
I got Malaria when I was in Kenya - I was pale as a ghost - I couldn't move out of bed for a whole week - not even to lift my head (Pillz won't work - only the shot - which you will end up getting in the ass if you get it haha)
I was a native of Kenya - this was when Malaria was not 10x stronger as it is now. Remember immunity to this lasts only 1yr if you leave the country - could be shorter now that its so strong.
Travelbuddys says:
Have a good trip!!
dreamflyer says:
Hi Molly, congrats on your featured blog! I am happy to hear your life dream has come true. cannot wait to see pictures of your trip. Safe travels :)
Posted on: Jun 09, 2009

So this is my first of many entries here on my travel blog, and I just wanted to introduce myself a litte! My name is Molly Perriman, and I'm a 16 year old junior at Legacy High School in Broomfield. I am very active in my school, I have been class president since Freshmen year, and I have always been super involved in Student Government. In 7th grade I went to a leadership camp called YRYLA, and that stands for Young Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, and at that camp they had us make a list of all of our life goals, and going to Africa was on mine. It didn't really seem possible for a while but after spending a lot of time thinking about it I decided that it was something i wanted to pursue, so I talked to my dad about it and he helped get me in touch with Don Howard, and his wife Pat. I started book drives at my school and different places and collected about 6,000 books with the help and support from so many people. Everyone at my school was amazing about it! I would get called down to my principles office at least once a week, only to be told there were more books and I better go take my car back to the loading dock to load them all up! I seriously could not have done it without all the help from all the teachers and administration at my school, and a bunch of really generous people in the community so a shout out to them: Thanks!!

The trip is coming up really quickly and I am starting to get really excited. I got a huge backpack for Christmas to pack all my stuff in, which I was thrilled about, and I got some REI giftcards for Easter that I need to go spend. My dad and I had a meeting with Pat and Don today, and that will be the last time we see them before Africa, they are leaving this Friday, and we are meeting them out there May 30. I still have a lot to get together, and I'm a little nervous but really excited!

mrandmrsbreeze says:
Congratulations on your featureness !!!!and goodluck with the trip
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured today! Very nice story :)
kayrae says:
Miss you already!!! hope your having fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on: May 31, 2009