A little piece of Boracay in the North.

Potipot Island Travel Blog

5 min boat ride to island
I was long overdue for a weekend at the beach, but with the Labor Day holiday, the choices seemed limited. The ongoing rains this past week has also been cause for concern. We didn't want to go to a beach where we had to get on a boat during such unpredictable weather. So, with no reservations, and just a general idea of where we wanted to go, we headed out on a 5 hour drive to a little town in Zambales to discover Potipot Island.

When we arrived at the Dawal resort at 10am, there were 2 buses unloading their passengers. We knew there would be lots of people, but when we saw bus loads of people, we immediately thought that the island may be too crowded and that there would not be any place to stay for the night.
my view, while working on my tan
Luckily, we were able to get their last available room for P1200 ($24), but we couldn't check in until 2pm. Not wanting to waste any time, we decided to head straight to the island [P400 ($10) boat ride, and P50 ($1) entrance fee]. Even with the holiday crowd, we were able to secure a little patch of sand that was a good distance from our fellow sun-worshippers.

Potipot rivals Boracay in terms of sand and water quality, minus all the commercialism. I loved it! If you like your beaches more for the calm water and fine sand, rather than the parade of people walking up and down the beach, if you can live without the fruit shakes, the loud music and the party crowd, then I highly recommend this place. Word of caution, there are no stores on the island, remember to bring your lunch, snacks and water before you go.