EuropeItalyRome

Wandering the streets, steps and fountain.

Rome Travel Blog

Vespas everywhere!
"Round Here" by the Counting Crows is playing in the reception/internet area here, love it :)

Ok so I'm on a proper sized laptop now, keyboard still a little strange, but easier to see and type all round!

So this morning I hung out with a cappuccino and my itouch outside the bar area in the sun, it was nice! I had the room all to myself for most of yesterday, which was nice. Some girls came in late, and when I woke up there were two boys in there, one from Reading, one from Aberdeen, nice to hear more homely voices!

A small note on Italy....there are vespas EVERYWHERE! Actually everywhere it's amazing! And when they are actually being driven and not lining the streets, they scoot about the roads crazy! I'd love to hire one to get about, but the drivers here are too crazy to risk it!

When my itouch battery died, I went to charge it but can't find the freeloader attachment to charge it, so annoying.
At Trevi.
Settled for getting the train to Barberini and wandering around till I found the Spanish steps. Easy to spot because of the noise and babble of hundreds of tourists, so sat there with a strawberry flavoured gelati. If you haven't tried one, get one, they are so nice and refreshing! Sat out there in the sun for wayyyy too long, but it was so nice, and a good rest from climbing all the way up, which is some trek! On my way down, I saw someone lying down soaking up the sun and a policewoman told him to sit up, which made me giggle!

From there I took another wander and had to ask in a few shops how to get to the Trevi Fountain, which is gorgeous, more hidden away than I had thought. So busy but managed to get all the way down to the waters edge to throw in a penny and a cent (you never know.
...) and sat for a minute, enjoying the splashes as people threw in coins, wish I could have dived right in, I think I was hoping for someone to knock me into it! A woman also by herself asked me to take her picture with her camera, so I gave her mine to take one of me. Makes a change from dodgey self-taken pictures! (More of them today than yesterday).

Took another wander back to the Metro, getting too hot and dehydrated and promised myself not to take out any more money, so all I spent was 4 euros on water and gelati, which I'm rather proud of! I saw two of the girls from.... Germany I think....that were on my Vatican tour yesterday, and they waved. I know we didn't speak but it felt nice to recognise someone at least.

On that note, Aunty Mary phoned me this morning (granda's sister who lives near Rome).
The beautiful Trevi Fountain!
We were meant to meet on Saturday but instead she's invited me to get the train to hers tomorrow to spend the day which is nice as it's near the sea and I was looking for how to get to a beach! So that should be nice.  Original plan was to go to Napoli next to see Pompeii, but I have to research if I can stay anywhere closer as I'm trying to spend as little as possible. Decided to cut out Southern Italy and Siscily and head straight to Malta and then Croatia, so that I can enjoy them more as they were my key destinations, and I'd rather not waste money on places I can't afford. Maybe once I'm in Croatia I'll save for another place to travel....on that note, I want to research cheap places to live and work, Croatia might not be my best bet and I want to see my other options.
But I only have the laptop for half an hour at the moment (half an hour is free then it's charged and I've got no cash on me) so I'm away to upload photos,  and go get something to eat....found a cheap Chinese restaurant just a few streets away and I've been craving Chinese for agessss....Then the pub crawl tonight....bad timing that I'm going to see Mary early tomorrow, but the next crawl is Saturday which is my last night and I have to meet some people, and it's very cheap and lots of free drink ..... don't tell my mum but hey, I have to meet people :p (if you're reading mum....sorry!!)

I might not be on tomorrow night, and if I am I may not have much to update.

Ciao!
The beautiful Trevi Fountain!
Spanish Steps and Gelati!
Spanish Steps and Gelati!
Spanish Steps!