Week 6: Oct 19-25, 2008

Tracy Travel Blog

pink cloud

Guess what?  More of the same!  We’ve been loading out trucks with our excavated soil, so there isn’t much for me to do.  We’ve started another excavation across the road.  I like this one because its along the railroad tracks.  I found a nice spot off the excavation where I can sit in a tree and watch.  As I was out sitting in my tree, I heard a noise in the grass behind me.  It was some deer.  I watched them for awhile.  I think I made them nervous.  I got out of my tree to get some photos and ended up scaring them away.  I also saw some pheasants out there.

I was bored and the contractors were held up from digging for awhile – I can’t quite remember why.

deer head
  One of them asked me if I wanted a block of instruction.  A what?  Oh, lessons on the trackhoe!  You bet!  So I finally got to learn how to use a back hoe.  I was terrible, really, but it sure was fun!  They gave me a small section of dirt between a hole in the concrete to dig.  Yeah, not a good idea.  What’s the first thing I do?  Break the concrete.  So then they let me dig in the dirt pile they had already dug.  I just dug the dirt and tried to push it back.  I played for awhile and never really got better.  The reason the operator “taught” me was because he needed my help cleaning the tracks and he knew how much I wanted to learn.  He “rewarded” me by letting me play in the dirt.  All I had to do was sit inside and spin the tracks while he hosed them down.  Easy enough but it sure made my day!

deer leaving
my foot on the pedal
my foot on the pedal
say hi!
say hi!
More like TRYING to dig with the …
just what it sounds like
Tracy