Week 5: Oct 12-18, 2008

Tracy Travel Blog

ash

More digging and sampling this week.  We hit a big layer of ash and have no idea why it is there.  It covers a large portion of the excavation and is so fine that it blows easily in the wind.  We are getting very close to finishing the first excavation so we headed to a local quarry so I could sample the potential backfill.  We want to make sure the backfill is clean otherwise there is not much point in digging out dirty soil if we are just going to replace it with more dirty soil.  We drove to the town of Currie, which is about 20 minutes south.

This area is nicer – it has more hills and lakes!  Where we are working is mostly farm fields with no lakes.  After we collected our soil sample, the quarry guy told us about a little park area that people like to visit a mile or so away.

rolling hills
  We drove over to check it out.  It was really nice.  The grass road wound up a hill and through some trees and then back down to a lake.  It was very nice, especially with the fresh coating of leaves on the road.  The lakes in the area are so pretty.  I love fall.

We also had a full moon this week, and since we get here while its still dark, I got some nice shots of the full moon setting.  Very nice.

This Saturday after work I visited Lake Shetek State Park, near Currie.  I hiked the hiking club trail, but it was so flat it was more like walking on a sidewalk.  The trail was along a causeway in the lake and then around Loon Island.  Most of the leaves had fallen, but I like walking through crunchy leaves.  Since the trail was so short and level, I decided to keep going along another trail.  I was alone – with a few deer.  It was nice.  You can read more about this hike and see more pictures under the original posting of Hiking in the Leaves.

grassy road