Week 4: Oct 5-11, 2008

Tracy Travel Blog

leaves starting to change

This week was more digging and sampling.  The northern part of the excavation is up along the berm of a drainage ditch and I discovered that it is a very nice place to relax until I’m needed at the excavation.  I would sit up in the grass and listen to the birds or watch the leaves falling from the trees.  It was very nice.

We get done earlier on Saturdays, so another worker and I went over to the next town of Walnut Grove.  For those fans of the Little House on the Prairie Series, this is the town where Laura Ingalls Wilder lived in the book, “On the Banks of Plum Creek” and also during the tv series.  They have little museum and gift shop there.

better than nothing
  Unfortunately we got there only 20 minutes before closing so we didn’t have enough time to take the tour.  Instead we spent the time (and money) in the gift shop.  They keep regular hours, unlike my work hours, so I can never get there.  They are open Sundays, but I like to watch football during the fall, so I didn’t make it down any Sunday.  Maybe I’ll make it during spring.

Since I didn’t spend much time at the Little House museum, I decided to go back to Camden State Park for some more hiking.  I wanted to hike the river trail - I figured it must be more scenic than the prairie trail.  As soon as I got there, it started raining, so I sat in my car to wait it out.  I noticed the leaves had been changing color more, so I really wanted to check out this trail.  As soon as I got to the farthest point away from my car, it started raining again, so I hurried back to the car.  You can read more about this park and see more pictures on the original entry Slippery when wet.

orangey leaves