Week 1: Sept 14-20, 2008

Tracy Travel Blog

mourning the fallen trees

This was my first week (of many) on the Tracy job.  We are cleaning up a large site that has been contaminated by lead acid batteries.  We have two excavations planned, one on either side of the highway, with the smaller excavation covering 2-3 acres.  We spent most of the first week removing trees.  That made me sad because I like trees and hate to see healthy trees cut down.  But they need to be cut down so we can excavate the soil.  I think we’ll plant some new ones when we are finished.

This excavation takes place in a small town in southwestern Minnesota.

walking on battery chips
  The people here are all really friendly but there aren’t many eating options in town.  There wasn’t much for me to do this first week, so I just watched and felt sad for the trees.   This area is prairie country, which means farm country.  There are gently rolling hills courtesy of the glaciers and the prairie grasses have made some rich, fertile soil.  The wind blows (A LOT) down here, so there are several windmills to capture the wind energy.

We work long hours out here, because there is nothing else to do anyway.  We get one day off a week and I usually do something fun that day, like go hiking.  This week I went to Pipestone National Monument (insert link to national page, about an hour away.  I took the self guided tour out past the quarries and rock outcrops.  It was very nice and relaxing.  I sat up by the waterfall for awhile and just enjoyed nature.  I already wrote about this excursion in another blog and you can read my entry under More photos from Pipestone National Monument.

Tracy