AfricaEgyptCairo

Day 41 - Time to Return to the Capital

Cairo Travel Blog

Not much to tell about today.  Woke up, packed bags, grabbed a bite to eat, checked out and then grabbed a taxi to the coach departure point, which was simply a small sandy area immediately behind and between a couple of run down buildings.  Thank goodness that cab driver knew where to go, because there was no way we would have found it.  When the coach finally arrived in Cairo, no sooner had we stepped off the coach than some guy was offering us a taxi ride and grabbing our luggage for us.  Whilst I thought I knew where we were I wasn’t certain, so I agreed to his proposed fare of 30 egyptian pounds when he said he knew where our hotel was.  He knew where the hotel was alright.  Barely a two minute drive away!  However, he obviously didn’t think he’d stitched us up well enough with the proposed fare because when I passed him a 50 he only gave me 10 change.  I got my 20 change but not before he tried to convince me that he’d in fact said 40.  Pigs @rse.  We’d hoped to grab an early dinner and the catch up on a few emails but we had to wait until 5pm for the roof terrace restaurant to open (and then for the kitchen to slaughter the chicken and lamb necessary to prepare our meals – how long does it take to cook shish kebabs?) and then were further frustrated to learn that the internet café would not be opening this evening.  So, instead it was back to our room to continue the ongoing backgammon challenge (which Michelle is leading at this point) and to watch the movie channel.

8,824 km (5,483 miles) traveled