La Défense

Paris Travel Blog

On my last visit, I didn't know about the Grand Arche. I only saw the name on the metro map, with other sights like Versailles. Alas, this was on my way back home so I didn't had any more time left to check it out. But now I wanted to make up for that. So I left home in the morning and started to walk...all the way from la Gare de Lyon to la Défense which is over 10 km. As a result it was already noon when I arrived there.

La Défense looks amazing from far away - but this is nothing compared to when you stand in between al these enormous buildings. An then in the middle of it all the Grande Arche. This whole district is very, very unusual and somehow weird, because you don't find any shops, houses and everything else one finds in a normal district. There were even hardly any coffee shops! (In a business district???!!! In the middle of the target group?!). And there aren't any streets, thanks to le Corbusier. He pleaded once for the separation of living and traffic, which was realised with this district, as all the streets are one "floor" lower than man.

Everything nice, spectacular and about an hour and a little shopping tour in le quatre temps later I stood on the stairs to the Grande Arche and checked my guide where to go next - in this moment an elderly man walked towards me saying something French I didn't understand at all..
Paris Nightlife & Entertainment review
Classic salsateca and restaurant
La Pachanga is a typical Salsateca, which means that there are daily salsa parties and regular dancing classes - and the Friday I went there was the f… read entire review
Paris Sights & Attractions review
Place full of hidden symbolism
In the ordinary guide, la Défense is described as the Parisian business district, which is the biggest of Europe - finito. But there's so much more … read entire review
Paris