Unplanned Excursion from the Little Apple: Have Car + Will Travel = Costs Money

Manhattan Travel Blog

Evening sky on Highway 24 west, near Belvue
On Sunday I drove up to Manhattan to visit friends from my college days and stayed the night. The plan was that in the morning I would get up and have my car fixed with the part that had come in. The evening was nice, just us sitting around the kitchen table talking about random subjects like mimeographs, dementia and cats. My friends have a lot of cats and two dogs. When I say a lot of cats, I mean about 11. I think each one of them came up to me in turn to get their dose of petting. I have to say I'm not used to so many cats, although I love animals dearly. By the end of the evening, my black shirt was nearly white with all the hair shed by the cats. But they were sweet and all seemed to like me.

Two halves of a sectional couch were pushed together and draped with blankets for my bed. Throughout the night, I had random kitties jumping on the bed, but luckily none landed on my head.
The legendary Varney's
In the morning, a dog licking my face was the alarm clock. After some more chatting, I took off for my appointment to have an engine airflow sensor replaced in my Corolla. First, though, I had a scone and a cup of delicious coffee from Radina's in Aggieville.

I waited for just under an hour and a half for my car to be ready. The weather was partly sunny and pleasant, so I decided to take off on a mini road trip. I turned west on Anderson Avenue, which took me out into the country through the small town of Keats. I remember going to a small isolated park there and studying. No one had been around, and it was very peaceful. Nothing had changed, and the old Chapman's station was still there on the highway.
adastra23 says:
It was nice to have you stay over. I hope the makeshift bed wasn't too bad.
Posted on: May 10, 2009
Evening sky on Highway 24 west, ne…
Evening sky on Highway 24 west, n…
The legendary Varneys