INDIA Week 5

Kanyakumari Travel Blog

Hello Family and Friends,

As my time here in Kanyakumari comes to a close, I am very sad to think about leaving the students of KPS. They are so much fun and so sweet. I see them around town now, along with the elephant I see every Saturday on the way to the internet cafe, which provides me with a nice home-like feeling. I will surely miss them when I leave here on August 2nd. Thankfully I will still have 3 more weeks to enjoy India though. I will be in Chennai for 5 days before I fly to Delhi for my 15 day Rajastan tour, which I am very excited for.

I have spoken with several of the students about the tsunami and thankfully none of them have lost any family members. Actually, no one died here in Kanyakumari, but there were a lot of people who got sand in their noses, eyes, throats, etc. However, the fishing and tourism industry were severely affected by the tsunami. Many of the childrens' fathers are fishermen and they lost their boats and a lot of money when the tsunami hit in December. It was peak season at that time (Nov-March), so the hotels and tourist industries were devastated as well. They are recovering well with the help of the government, Salvation Army, etc.

I was privileged this week to have been approached by the headmistress to help her with a personal problem. Her eldest son, David, has lost motivation for school and she is very concerned. She feels like she has done everything she can, so she came to her "eldest American daughter" (as she calls me) for advice. She was so upset that she actually accepted hugs from me. For an Indian to accept affection is amazing to me because they are so publicly unaffectionate. I was quite honored that she came to me for help. I will have a one-on-one with David this week to see if I can help him and Mrs. Kingston.

I had a lot of fun last night sari sopping with the KPS kitchen staff and maids/servants. I purchased the same sari for the 12 KPS teachers and Mrs. Kingston as a going away present. Mrs. Kingston thought it was a nice gesture. I will ask them all to wear the sari on the day that I leave. I am also preparing the readings and songs for chapel that morning, and having two fo my favorite boys help me with the readings. I have selected 1 Corinthians 13 (Love is patient, love is kind.....) and a proverb about meeting new people and how much they impact our lives. In fact, I am going to visit the village of one of those boys today when I leave the internet cafe. I will let you know how the visit goes in next week's email.

Well, that's all for now. Until next week.....
Hugs....Kelly :-)

P.S. I found out that one of my boys has malaria, so please say a prayer for him and for my continued safe travels here in India. :-)

Kanyakumari