INDIA Week 2

Kanyakumari Travel Blog

Well, my time here continues to amaze me!! The people of India are so welcoming and peaceful. The head mistress, Mrs. Kingston, took Hana and I to buy saris last weekend....what an adventure that was!!! I now have 3 beautiful saris and 4 chudis (less formal) that I have been wearing to work/school each day. She also took us to her ancestral houses in a village four bus rides away from Kanyakumari. It was good to meet her mother, brother, aunts/uncles, and cousins. We roamed through her family's coconut and banana plantations and even ate fresh coconut and jack fruit....what a treat!!! She is an amazingly wise and wonderful woman, my mother while here in India!!

The students are great. I have been teaching biology to standards (grades) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 because the teacher just reported for work yesterday. They had no biology teacher before I arrived....God blessed KPS with my presence, as Mrs. Kingston put it. Now that the Biology teacher has arrived, I will probably keep 1-2 biology classes and also take 1-2 math classes. I enjoy play time and library time with the students as well because it gives us some time to practice English and Tamil. They are all great kids...kind, open to me, wanting to know about the US...they especially love to look at my blue eyes since they have never seen any before. :)

My roommate, Hana from Australia, will be leaving KPS Thursday. I will miss her immensely because I have had some amazing talks about America, Australia, and India with her. I may take the train with her up to Bangalore (where she flies out of) and spend a long weekend there. It will be nice to see another city in India with a travel partner. I met a man on the plane that lives in Bangalore and works for McAfee, and he said he would show us around too. I love the adventures here....so many stories to tell you all and so little time at the internet cafe.

Things I miss (about America) while in India: AFFECTION, toilet paper, DVDs, long/hot showers, a real mattress, washer and dryer, radio stations, desserts, a variety of food to eat, supermarkets with fresh fruits and vegetables, parks with green grass, sporting events, Ice, garbagemen, recycling bins, ....the list goes on and on. This trip is definitely an eye opener for me and I will definitely return to the states with a deep appreciation for the simple things in life. I wish everyone in the US could travel to a third world country and see what I am seeing.

Well, I must go for now. I will try and send an email update every Saturday, but there are no guarantees with the internet service over here. Please don't take it personally if I don't respond t your emails for a while. I have limited time on the computer and sometimes the power is out or the connection is down. Please continue to keep me in your prayers.

Hugs,
Dear Mom,

Please send the following via the fastest US mail :-)

2 plastic jars of creamy peanut butter (I'm craving some)

- 2 boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios (I want some breakfast stuff, something besides rice)

- Sealed Bags of Mixed Fruits...apricots, apples, etc. (I'm craving fruits)
- S
ealed Bags/containers of mixed nuts (Just in case emergency supply)
- Any yummy candy that you think might survive the airplane ride in the box

to the following address:

Kanyakumri Public School

Kanyakumri, TN - 629702
INDIA
A
ttn: Kelly Abbott
c/o Mrs. Kingston

The phone number is  0465-270287.......not sure about the country code though.  The time difference is 12 1/2 hours. So, you may want to call at 7:30pm-8pm when it is 8-8:30 am here. School starts at 8:30.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!

Hugs & Kisses....

Kelly :-)

Well, my time here continues to amaze me!! The people of India are so welcoming and peaceful. The head mistress, Mrs. Kingston, took Hana and I to buy saris last weekend....what an adventure that was!!! I now have 3 beautiful saris and 4 chudis (less formal) that I have been wearing to work/school each day. She also took us to her ancestral houses in a village four bus rides away from Kanyakumari. It was good to meet her mother, brother, aunts/uncles, and cousins. We roamed through her family's coconut and banana plnatations and even ate fresh coconut and jack fruit....what a treat!!! She is an amazingly wise and wonderful woman, my mother while here in India!!

The students are great. I have been teaching biology to standards (grades) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 because the teacher just reported for work yesterday. They had no biology teacher before I arrived....God blessed KPS with my presence, as Mrs. Kingston put it. Now that the Biology teacher has arrived, I will probably keep 1-2 biology classes and also take 1-2 math classes. I enjoy play time and library time with the students as well because it gives us some time to practice English and Tamil. They are all great kids...kind, open to me, wanting to know about the US...they especially love to look at my blue eyes since they have never seen any before. :)

My roommate, Hana from Australia, will be leaving KPS Thursday. I will miss her immensely because I have had some amazxing talks about America, Australia, and India with her. I may take the train with her up to Bangalore (where she flys out of) and spend a long weekend there. It will be nice to see another city in India with a travel partner. I met a man on the plane that lives in Bangalore and works for MacAfee, and he said he would show us around too. I love the adventures here....so many stories to tell you all and so little time at the internet cafe.

Things I miss (about America) while in India: AFFECTION, toilet paper, DVDs, long/hot showers, a real mattress, washer and dryer, radio stations, desserts, a variety of food to eat, supermarkets with fresh fruits and vegetables, parks with green grass, sporting events, Ice, garbgemen, recycling bins, ....the list goes on and on. This trip is definitely an eye opener for me and I will definitely return to the states with a deep appreciation for the simple things in life. I wish everyone in the US could travel to a thrid world country and see what I am seeing.

Hugs,