Alajuela Travel Blog

Buenas Noches from Costa Rica,
I am continuing to enjoy my time here in Costa Rica. My mother keeps spoiling me with her amazing
cooking and my father has welcomed me with open arms to his high school. The kids are great....I have
been helping out in some English classes and observing some math and science classes. The students
practice speaking English and I practice speaking´s a win-win situation.
I also continue to have fun with my host brothers. Most of the time I am hanging out with the youngest
one, Hugo, who is 25 or 26. He works here in Alajuela and we go out together on the weekends with his
friends and some of the other volunteers. Last Friday night I got home at 5am on Saturday morning.
Oops! I guess that’s what happens when you don’t wear a watch on vacation. Thankfully my Tica mother
was not mad…actually she just laughed. She knew I was in good hands with her son Hugo. They all take
care of me, so I always feel safe here in Alajuela.
Tomorrow I am leaving to go see an American friend in Manuel Antonio, a beach town on the Pacific side
of Costa Rica. She is a friend of mine from home who also teaches high school special education, in
Concord. Like me, she is here in Costa Rica for 5 or 6 weeks volunteering and taking Spanish classes. I am
excited to see Melissa and speak English with her, and also to see the beach again. I will visit the National
Park in Manuel Antonio as well, which should be full of lots of wildlife.
I am attaching a link to Shutterfly so that you can see some of the places I went to with the group of 12
new friends. They are Brad’s pictures, the fireman from Canada. Especially take a look at numbers 6 (Kelly
and Corinne), 9 (group hike), 25 (Kelly being silly with Brad), 32 (lightning in Cahuita), 35 (hot springs in La
Fortuna), 55, 58, 59, 62 (zip lining in Monte Verde), 73 (Kelly the Banker at every dinner....It made sense
to everyone since I’m a math teacher and I was the mother on the trip taking care of everyone), 83
(dancing in the rain at a bar in Tamarindo), 89 (our last sunset in Tamarindo).
Enjoy the pictures and keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
photo by: kelleb