African Adventure #7

Serengeti National Park Travel Blog

Jambo from Tanzania & Kenya,

I left Esalwa Secondary School on Saturday morning. I had an amazing last week with the students, teachers, and the Deputy's family. I spent a day in Kisumu, which is the largest nearby city, actually third largest in Kenya. It is about an hour away from Luanda by matatu (minivan taxis). I went to an animal sanctuary, did some shopping, and just had a great day walking through the streets with my favorite Esalwa teacher, James. It was a great way to spend one of my last days in the Luanda/Kisumu area.

I also spent the last week visiting classrooms and answering students questions. The Form 3 students (11th graders) had some very interesting questions. I spent two hours in one classroom discussing education, food, politics, religion, gay marriage, circumcision, poverty, retirement, witchcraft, etc. Of course we talked about George Bush and Barack Obama since he is half Kenyan. His family land was actually just up the street from the school I was living at. Discussing these topics with the students was eye-opening for all of us. :-)

I am currently on day three of my nine day Safari/Camping expedition. It began in Nairobi on Saturday and will end next Saturday in Nairobi as well. We crossed over the border into Tanzania last night and camped at Lake Victoria. We also went for a boat ride to a local village where we were raided by little children, who were all so precious!! Today we depart for two days of animal sightings in the Serengeti National Park and then another day of animals in Ngorongoro Crater. I am camping/travelling with 20 others in a huge All-Terrain vehicle. I am excited to see animals for the next few days. Part of the time I will be able to sit on the roof, so hopefully I will get some amazing shots.

Well, I am off with the group now. I will probably not have the chance to email again until I return home. Once I do get home and have processed the entire trip, email #8 will be a good one. Until then, continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I continue my travels here in Tanzania and Kenya.

Hugs,