African Adventure #3

Cairo Travel Blog

Hello All,
Well my time in Egypt has come to an end. I spent two amazing weeks here with 12 new friends. Last time I left off with you in Luxor. I was nervous but also awestruck for my sunrise hot air balloon ride over the Nile and the Valley of the Kings. I definitely want to go for another hot air balloon ride in Napa when I get home. I saw 3 tombs at the Valley of the Kings (Ramses) and also saw the large temples of many beautiful pictures. Egypt has turned out to be more amazing than I ever expected.
After Luxor, we ventured off to Alexandria and the beautiful Mediterranean Sea. The catacombs were strangely interesting, especially the fact that a donkey falling through the ground in 1900 is how they were discovered. The fort was beautiful in Alex as well and the library is famous for its extensive amount of books and the interesting design of the building itself. We had a beautiful seafood dinner and spent some time bathing on the beautiful beaches of the Mediterranean.
Next it was off to the Siwa Oasis, a desert location where very few women appear outdoors and the ones that do are completely covered from head to toe and are not allowed to speak. It was definitely a learning experience for the feminist-oriented Western women in our group. The tombs of the dead and the fortress in the Oasis were beautiful, but the highlight was definitely 4 wheel driving out in the desert. Our drivers took us to a freshwater lake for a swim, sand boarding down the dunes, and to a local hot spring to watch the sunset. I thought sunsets over the Pacific Ocean were beautiful, but the Egyptian desert was up there as well.
After staying in Siwa for two nights, we then spent two nights in the Black Desert and the White Desert, one of these camping with the cute desert foxes. The sunrise and sunsets in the deserts of Egypt were spectacular. I think you'll find these photos are some of my best work. We hiked to the top of one mountain where we could see a 360 degree view of the Black Desert. When I see places like that, it is when I know there is definitely a higher power.
I am back in Cairo now for my last night in Egypt. I am sad to leave, but am very fortunate to have seen so many different parts of the country in such a short period of time. My Intrepid Travel guide has definitely been a big part of making my Egyptian experience so wonderful. I will miss him, but there are many students awaiting my arrival in Kenya tomorrow. I will send you all the details about the school and the students next week.
Until next time,