The ancient sanctuary

Delphi Travel Blog

I was first up and in the shower that morning, it was a disgusting bathroom and when I got water on the floor I attempted to sloosh it into the drain in the middle only to find that when I did a horrible smell wafted up. Breakfast was gross - there was some bizarre thing that looked like a dumpling and tasted VILE and then jam and bread, I ended up have barely anything but a huge coffee - I apologise now for my lack of taste! We then had to pack and put our luggage on the coach as we were off to a different hotel that night. We had our proper driver with us now, he was called Dimitri, we all came to love him, his first words were "we are a big group of friends now, I want us all to have fun" and we all went AWWWWWWW! I love the Greek people!

We drove just down the road to the site of
Delphi. First we went in the museum which holds a number of impressive artifacts that we as student had studied. We saw the charioteer, which if you study classics is INCREDIBLY exciting, It is a bronze statue of a charioteer, excavated from the site. It is very well known (to certain circles) and worth in excess of 1.500.000 Euros (according to the sign outside). Delphi was also the centre of the word in ancient Greek times, this it also home to the navel stone or omphalos which supposedly marks the very centre of the world as defined by Zeus himself. The story goes he got two great eagles to fly around the earth and where they met he dropped the stone, and they met in Delphi!

We then walked up to the very top of
Delphi to the stadium where some mad people actually had the energy to run it, it was pretty steep. At the very top was also where the heavens opened on us, there was thunder and lightening with torrential rain. I remember little of the summit, except there was a race track, which a few people tested whilst most of us huddled under umbrellas. All the scenes I had been planning to take pictures of on the way down (as we had been told to rush our way to the top and walk slowly down) were now obscured by the rain and ruined.

Back on bus we started our onward journey to Olympia, we stopped for lunch in a little roadside restaurant where our teacher bartered the price down for us all to have souvalaki (as my mum had insisted I tried) and tzatziki. I was the only one who knew what they were as my mum had given me a list of all the foods she had enjoyed whilst in
Greece and what I should try. The coach journey then took ages - when we reached the Gulf of Corinth there was a perfectly good bridge across, but for some reason we had to take a ferry. We eventually got to Olympia around 6.
sylviandavid says:
Love your descriptions.... And good for you for knowing the greek foods....
Posted on: Feb 15, 2011