Las Olas Surf Safari

Sayulita Travel Blog

View of Sayulita Bay from our room.... yes...that's our own private dipping pool!
Wow, this was a great experience! After going thru a difficult time personally, I decided to get out and learn something new. I've always wanted to surf as good as my ex, or at least be able to jump in the water with him when we were dating, but found surfing to be the most difficult sport I've tried to learn. It doesn't help when I'm learning in Huntington Beach, which isn't called Surf City for nothing. There are mostly guys who have been surfing forever, very intimating, very rude. So I did a little research on all women surf camps online and found Las Olas to have the best reviews and to be best suited to what I was looking for. I wanted to learn to surf from the best in an encouraging, non judgmental way. I called and was put on the waitlist as the camps usually book up a season or year out.
Another view from our balcony
I was a little bummed but took a chance on clearing and lo and behold my number popped up the week before the departure date!! I jumped at the opportunity and immediatlely booked my flights to Puerta Vallarta... SEE...this is why I have a freelance job.... to be able to capture these last minute opps. The second I got off the plane and met up with my group I just knew I was going to enjoy this trip. We had about a 30 minute van ride north of Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita. Upon driving into town, I was smiling ear to ear...the roads are a mix of cobblestone and dirt, the town square was about one block by one block, and the little shops were mostly closed due to siesta. So cute and charming. We were put up at Villa Amor - mostly outdoor villas with incredible views, outdoor showers, open air bedrooms and some with private dipping pools. I was so relaxed and happy to be able to call this place home for the next week. Our instructors were, some world champion women longboarders and some local Mexican champs. Each morning we woke at 6:30 AM for yoga in the garden followed by a delicious family style breakfast at Rollies for all 18 women in the camp. Not everyone woke for the yoga everyday, I managed to make it 4 days! Our daily agenda went something like this... after breakfast, morning surf lessons 9:30 to 12, followed by lunch, and finished up by a free surf session in the afternoon. Throughout the week, each person was assigned a massage by, I'm not kidding you, the BEST massage I've EVER had. I get massages often but Sophia has to be hands down THE BEST. Please contact me if you ever go to Sayulita and want a massage. Of course, we could get another massage anytime throughout the trip....which I did. Nothing better than a massage to work those sore muscles that you probably have never used before in your body! There was also an opportunity to go on a boat trip to Punta Mita which is a nice point break and reef break down there. The waves were perfect, the water warm, clear and inviting. The people in Sayulita were soo sweet and always happy. After a few days in this small fishing village, I felt like a "local", greeting the local vendors each day. This was also a great trip to practice my highschool Spanish! LOL. I have to say in the first two days I laughed more than I had in the previous nine months. The women were so amazing, the teachers incredible and the stories we all shared will be embedded in my memories for ever. There were women from all walks of life...cancer survivors, mothers, grandmothers, daughters, sisters, wives, etc... each with their own compelling reasons for wanting to surf. We laughed, we cried, we ate, we slept and we drank many margs together. I learned so much more than surfing on this trip. (Some women even tried surfing once and decided it wasn't for them, and THEY too claimed it was a great trip) I learned an alternative way to live life. I learned to find happiness again. I forgot how traveling can be such a great soul healer. Each day when I left my villa, on the door hung a sign reading "I am living the life I love"... and that became my motto. As you can see I am a huge fan of Las Olas. I hear Manifesta started another surf safari somewhere in Baja and that they also have a golf safari in Carmel, California. No doubt I'll be at one of those very soon. Shoot me an email if you have any questions about Las Olas.... I'll be more than happy to respond.
Eric says:
Was just here with my friends in Feb. Sayulita is a great town with really friendly people. We rented a boat and surfed further down the coast. Just wanted to say that, four years later, Sayulita still rocks!
Posted on: Apr 29, 2011
eireciara says:
Hi - I just signed up for a week in May!! I am very excited and cannot wait to go away solo for the first time ever! Your review was great, thank you for sharing!!!
Posted on: Jan 23, 2009
Eric says:
Way cool, I recently went on a Baja surf trip with some friends and was just down in Huntington surfing last week. Keep it up and don't let anyone intimidate you on the water ;)
Posted on: Apr 09, 2007
View of Sayulita Bay from our room…
View of Sayulita Bay from our roo…