A week trip to New York and Hawaii

New York Travel Blog

First asked TBs in the travel chat forum for ideas. Eric (the administrator) initially suggested Hawaii, a good place to do the diving course. I was still open to ideas and was considering Mallorca, Ibiza, Dublin, Egypt, Turkey, Morocco and even Monaco. Keith, Aloha supported the idea of doing Hawaii. Well, I was seriously wanting to go away for a week from Germany so I checked my options. However, Hawaii seems far fetched as flight time is long and bla bla bla.

Kept checking flights etc for few days. Couldn't decide really. Coming towards the end of the weekend, finally ALoha it is. Could not believe it myself but went ahead and did the bookings. Still couldn't believe it thinking the booking might not go through. It's just one of the days when you think, the hell am I doing.
Received a confirmation on my flights from Expedia and the whole trip from Frankfurt to New York and Hawaii gonna cost me USD 840. I thought it is a value. So, I left Frankfurt on Saturday early morning catching the 7:37 am ICE train from Kassel to Frankfurt Flughafen. Had a nice chat with a neurologists doctor, he was going to Seattle. Basically talked about my views on European people and thoughts from our travel chat forum that he left his first class seat to join me for further chat in second class cabin. I thought that was cool.

Then, my flight Delta 49 was delayed for 5 hours. But that's ok, no stress since I am in urlaub (on holidays) so Delta gave a meal voucher for 16 Euro, ate like a pig. Waited. Boarded. An alarm went off in the plane.
Waited in the runway for another hour. But that's ok I'm on holiday. We left Frankfurt at 5:30pm instead of 12:05pm. Landed in Cincinatti at 8:35pm, missed my 8:10 pm connecting flight to New York. But that's ok I am on holidays and I did not make any prior booking of whatsoever. Left my backpack, newly bought Deuter Air 50+10 from Cologne, in the airport. Delta gave me a room in Marriort Courtyard and a USD 7 meal voucher. Ate like a pig again. Slept early. Woke up at 4am. Left hotel at 5:35am. Took flight at 7am. Landed in La Guardia, New York at around 8:36am. My backpack did not fly with me, so delayed again. But that's ok I am on holidays. I waited for another 1.5 hours, backpack came with another flight. Delta gave me a cab ride to JFK as initially JFK was my destination.
I told the driver to drop me at any train station. He did. Took train 7 (USD 2) to Times Square. Walked around a bit. Had Korean food for lunch, ate like pig again. Walked around. Checked couple of hotels and then found Big Apple Hostel. Checked in for USD 43. Walked to find Lion King Musical. Found last one at 3pm. quickly bought ticket for USD 86. It was one of the thing I wanted to do for long. Finally, watched it. really awesome. Would recommend to everyone. Walked around. Now back in the hostel, little tired. Gonna chill and then go out again. Tomorrow, at 11am, flying to San Francisco and then scheduled to arrive in Honolulu at 5.46pm, if no more flights delay. More later. Gosh, I was wanting to keep writing this blog while traveling but Aloha Spirit sucked me in and I was just having good times and little time for thinking and words.
However, I shall continue. I slept a while that night in New York. Got up and went out to irish pub next door for some beers and chilling. Met some nice people. Hang out till wee hours, talking to buddies met in the hostel and pub and taking pictures too. When we were standing on the curb, a couple came to us. The man almost like had a 'trained- recorded' message playing, started talking in very professional ways on how he doesn't wanna disturb us, doesn't wanna ask money in the wee hours and all bullshit and came finally to ask us to buy some food for them. We were puzzled as soem of us were quite 'alcohol-infused'. So one of the gang, said there's no shop open and the man said he can take the money then...ha ha ha, we said good bye and kept walking.
New York, New York, New York....subtly 'soaking-in' all kinda people. Then, headed home to our hostel. I bade good bye. Checked e-mails, sent message to Aloha Keith and asked him how to go to this Waikiki Beachside Hostel that I had booked minutes ago. So, I showered, packed up...ooooopppssss kinda late for the Train 7, so walked to the Grand Central and took the blue bus (USD 15) heading to JFK. Managed to be in time and flight was on time.

Zo, I arrived in JFK like 10:10am n my flight is at 11am. Did rush to check in. Asked to go to the kiosk for E check in. A nice Delta guy helped me as the machine could not process my passport as I have US 10 years visa on my other passport. A 32 pages Malaysian passport should last for 5 years but mine had to be changed almost every 1.
5 years as I have visa to India, a 3 years visa to Canada, Unlimited Schengen visa which takes some of the pages and everytime I travel I get stamps which fill my pages. So the guy helped me quickly and I realize I had to pay USD15 for my one backpack. He just said why don't you just take the backpack with you as it seems light. Great I saved USD15. So I got thru the security pretty quickly only to fuckin realize they have to confiscate my beer cans and my prized wine opener. Kinda sad to depart with my wine opener and cursed the security for that. Anyway, got into the plane allright. Flight Delta is quite interesting and comfortable. We are flying to San Franciso. One thing I like in this flight is the Quiz Trivia thingy where you can play against other passengers so I was engaged in that battle.
Won couple of times and got fed up as I had to put my brain into thinking process, but I M ON HOLIDAY so that's too much. I rested. Watched movies. Slept a while.

Arrived in SF. Had only like 55 minutes stop over. Saw another girl with backpack so asked her if she can watch my bags while I hit the loo. So we chat little and got into the other plane and head to Honolulu. Again got addicted to this trivia challenge for a while. Did not really talk to others but fine...I M ON HOLIDAY. After nearly 5.5 hours flight, arrived into HNL. I waited for that girl to help her with her big box she said she has so we went to the carousel 5. This girl, Amy works in the hospital in Kauai as a nurse and she offered to show me around in the weekend but of course I have AlohaKeith, TB buddy whom I may meet so I took her number and mentioned I may call her.
So we waited for her big box when someone just came to me and asked me "Are you James" and I was like puzzled, not knowing what to say but I figured I may know him. BUt he left so quick before my brain puts all in right spot. So, I helped Amy with her big box and went to have a little smoke and waited for the public bus 19.

I miss these days and trips already.
vila says:
You are funny! Love your style :)
Posted on: May 09, 2010
gejah says:
when were you in new york????? we were there 27, 28of april.
Posted on: May 13, 2009
gejah says:
ok ha ha ha you are on a holliday. No stress!!!
Posted on: May 13, 2009