Beauty in war

Afghanistan Travel Blog

sun rise over looking the desert

In late 2008 i was deployed to the middle east with the Australian defence force. Although because of the strict rules regarding operational security i cant give away alot, i can tell you i enjoyed my deployment, and although i personaly did very little i think what we did as a whole is making a huge diiference. I support my troops not just because i am one, but because they are trying to make a difference in parts of the world that arent free from poverty, war, or basic health care.

In mid 2009 i returned home, back to Australia. And i was a little sad. Here i cant make as much change, or as much personal growth ect as i could there. For a place that had so little it offered so much. Yes it wasnt all good, that comes with the job, but some of it was great and inspiring.

The photo of the sun rise over the desert for example, the good one. That morning i hated getting out of bed, it was way to early, a little cold and it ment i had to go to work again. But that sunrise was like being punched in the face, less painfull but it woke me up. Something so wonderful in a place that is nothing more then dirt in the summer and mud in the winter.

But it is someones home and it was beauiful in a way i never imgined. The people were so friendly, well the ones who liked you were. The ones who didnt like you may have wanted to hurt me but hey. I remember a local man who brought us down some food. It was a yogurt, bread and egg plant in oil i think. And it looked a little out there but tasted so good. We did make it up to him by slipping him a few dollars.

So who is to say what is beautiful and what isnt? As i have now learnt it can be found in the most unlikely place. I hope to go again, maybe even as a tourist. One day

some of the local innocent children
some of the local innocent children
i want what he has, what is it???
i want what he has, what is it???
heavy cloths and rock climbing???
heavy cloths and rock climbing???
the vally
the vally
top of a world
top of a world
morning
morning
a gental touch
a gental touch
F?>)ING cold at around -15 in wint…
F?>)ING cold at around -15 in win…
7,010 km (4,356 miles) traveled