Sapphire years

Lagos Travel Blog

the yummy roasted chicken courtesy of our cook

Five years. That’s how many years I’ve been in Lagos. Yes, I’ve been to others states of Nigeria, but just to visit, and the longest time I was ever away from Lagos was for a week when I went to Abuja, but truth be told, I missed the chaos that is Lagos J

I’ve been to three other companies. Current company is my fourth, and enjoying it. Well, no deep introspection on this anniversary, just a realization of the swiftness of time, again. I remembered that I told myself when I was about to go to Nigeria that I will just finished my initial contract and I’ll go back home to Philippines. Such arrogance huh! I didn’t know that I would find another metaphor for home in Lagos.

My life in Lagos is a microcosm of my entire adult world….well, essentially, this is where I practiced solo living as well as live with others. I realized I lived a pretty pampered life in the Philippines in terms of being always in our family home. In Lagos, I was pampered more, hahahaah! But the difference is that I get to decide for myself alone. I truly believe that one of the hallmarks of adulthood is learning to live with yourself and actually enjoying the company even during the empty moments.

Serendipitously, today, we instructed our cook to prepare roasted chicken, and it was truly a feast. I bought ice cream for our dessert and voila! instant celebration of my sapphire years with colleagues.

marix_sublime says:
thanks nolan. lagos was slow to love but i fell head over 'feet' in love, hhahaaha!
Posted on: Dec 14, 2012
nolan says:
Five years abroad and in one country is quite a feat.
Posted on: Dec 14, 2012
simsing says:
Liked your blog a lot!
I can relate your story to myself. When I was coming to the US I also thought it was just for few years of study. I will go back as soon as I finish it! Well, my destiny was smiling and probably your dreams!
Posted on: Sep 22, 2012
the yummy roasted chicken courtesy…
the yummy roasted chicken courtes…
chop, chop,chicken!