Scooter go to Barr Lake

Brighton Travel Blog

Scooter go for ride!

Scooter good dog. Scooter in back yard. Grandpappy come out.

“Scooter, do you wanna go for a ride!” say Grandpappy

Scooter always want to go for ride! Scooter jump up and start to dance and bark.

“Settle down, settle down. I’ve got your leash right here. We’re going to go to Barr Lake. I’m doing you a favor.” Say Grandpappy

Scooter excited! Scooter love to go for ride! Grandpappy do Scooter favor. Scooter do Grandpappy favor. Scooter will catch Grandpappy a bird. Scooter is great hunter!

Scooter walk with Grandpappy.

Barr Lake
Scooter look at front house window. Scooter see Enzo. Scooter see Madie. Scooter see Eve. They is Scooter step brother and step sister. Scooter love his step family. They not get to go for ride. HaHa Huh HaHa. Scooter go. Other stay. HaHaHuhHaHa.

“Get in the car, Scooter.” say Grandpappy

Scooter get in. Scooter take Scooter spot in middle. Scooter like go for ride. Scooter not like car. Car bite Scooter. One time when Scooter was puppy, Scooter go for ride. Granny car windows down. Scooter stick head out window and see. Scooter sniff. Scooter look. Scooter stand on thing on door. Window come up and bite Scooter. Scooter not put head out window.

Now Scooter stay in middle and whine. Scooter want to stick head out window. Scooter not want to get bit. Scooter not know what to do. Scooter whine to help Scooter think. Scooter have idea. Scooter crawl over and sit on Grandpappy lap. Grandpappy not let window bite Scooter.

“Scooter! I’m driving! “You’re gonna get me a ticket!’ say Grandpappy.

No Water!

Scooter wonder want ticket is. Scooter not wonder long. Scooter busy sniffing and looking out window. Grandpappy move Scooter a little.

“Dog, you’re heavy. As soon as we get to a stop sign, you’re moving. Say Grandpappy.

Car stop. Grandpappy pick Scooter up and put him in other seat.

“Stay there, and look out that window.” Say Grandpappy.

Scooter thinking again. Scooter whine.  Grandpappy rub Scooter ears. Scooter stop thinking.

“You like that, huh boy.

” Say Grandpappy.

“I’m taking you out to Barr Lake today. I’ve been reading your TravBuddy blogs and I think you need some real world experience. Making up things like going back in time and cats plotting to take over the world. What kind of nonsense is that?”

Grrrrrrr. Scooter not nonsense. Scooter do. Scooter write. But Scooter still like to go. Car stop and Grandpappy make car quick making noise.  Scooter put head out window and sniff. Scooter smell lake. Scooter smell trees. Scooter jump over to Grandpappy side. Scooter not need to be told time to get out. Grandpappy open door and Scooter get out.

“OK, boy. We have to stay on this side of the lake. The other side is the Nature Preserve and then don’t allow dogs”

Grrrrrrr.

Barr Lake dam
Bad State of Colorado, bad! Scooter is nature. But Scooter see plenty stuff to explore. Scooter sniff and walk. Scooter pull Grandpappy. Scooter walk. Scooter pee. Scooter see. Scooter sniff. Scooter pee. Scooter have fun!

Grandpappy and Scooter walk dirt trail. Scooter walk long time. Sometime Grandpappy stop and take picture. Scooter not want stop. Scooter stop anyway. Scooter see big water. Scooter not like water. Scooter not want to go big water. Grandpappy stay on trail. Not take Scooter to water. Good Grandpappy, Good.

Grandpappy stop.

“Scooter, the rest of this trail is closed today, because it’s hunting season.” Say Grandpappy. “We have to turn around and go back.”

Scooter not understand. Scooter hunter. Scooter hunt everyday. Scooter catch candy bar yesterday, that Mommy leave on table. But, Scooter go with Grandpappy. Scooter lead to Grandpappy how to get back.

Scooter getting cool

Scooter is getting hot. Today is hot day and Scooter have fur. Fur help when cold. Fur not help when hot. Scooter tongue is out.

“I forgot our water, back at the car, boy” say Grandpappy. “We’re close to the lake; I’ll take you down to get a drink.”

Scooter not sure about that idea. Scooter want drink. Scooter hate water.

“C’mon Scooter, here is a short cut”

Scooter like short cut. Then Scooter paw hurt! Scooter stop walking and pick up paw.

“Damn, this place is full of stickers!” say Grandpappy “Hold still, I’ll get them out and then carry you to the sand.

Boat Ramp

Grandpappy bend down and something fall off of Grandpappy. Grandpappy also set down camera to help Scooter. Grandpappy make Scooter paw not hurt and then pick up Scooter. Scooter not like pick up. But, Scooter is hot and Scooter not like stickers. Grandpappy carry Scooter to soft dirt and set Scooter down. Scooter paw not hurt. Scooter is happy. Scooter is thirsty.

Scooter take Grandpappy to water. Scooter drink. Scooter not drink lot. Water is not like home. Scooter drink little. Scooter think water is cool. Scooter is hot. Scooter walk in water. Water not bite Scooter, so Scooter is happy. Scooter is also cooler. Scooter is happy again.

Grandpappy and Scooter walk by water. Scooter see people. Some people pet Scooter. Scooter like people. Then Grandpappy and Scooter walk up concrete thing that go from water to place up high. There is man with a boat and truck. Scooter walk up concrete thing. Soon Scooter back where we start walk.

”Let’s go the other way down the trail, Scooter.

” Say Grandpappy

Scooter walk. Scooter pee. Scooter find grasshopper! Big grasshopper! Scooter get close and bug jump! Scooter chase. Grandpappy not let go of rope! Bad Grandpappy, bad! Scooter get close again and grasshopper jump! Scooter decide Scooter not want to play chase with big. Scooter can do that at home. Scooter continue down trail and water plants.

Then Scooter see squirrel. Grandpappy not see squirrel. Scooter is great hunter. Grandpappy is can’t find wallet. So Scooter pull hard on rope and bark! Squirrel jump! Grandpappy almost lose rope.

“Easy boy! That’s a wild squirrel.” laugh Grandpappy “You’re used to those sissy city squirrels. He’d probably kick your furry butt.”

Grrrrrr. Grandpappy not know squirrels. Grandpappy not know Scooter. Scooter is great hunter! Squirrels shake with fear at the sound of Scooter name! Squirrel run when Scooter bark.

Squirrel is about to run off to tell friends

“It’s time to go back anyway” continue Grandpappy “I still have a lawn to mow”

Grandpappy lucky Scooter good dog. Otherwise Scooter not lead Grandpappy home. Scooter walk. Scooter pee. Scooter look for squirrel again. Squirrel has run away to tell other squirrels that Scooter the Great Hunter is in park. Squirrel all hide from Scooter. Scooter walk taller. Soon, Scooter lead Grandpappy back to car.

“Dammit!” yell Grandpappy “I don’t have my key! I’ll bet I left it in the ignition!”

Scooter not know “ignition”. Scooter not know “key” Scooter know Scooter is tired. Scooter lay down is shade while Grandpappy yell. Grandpappy not yell at Scooter, so Scooter not care.

“Damn! Damn! Damn! It’s not in the ignition, either.

Barr Lake Dam
” Grandpappy continues to yell “It must have fallen out of my pocket on the trail somewhere”

Scooter remember something fall out of Grandpappy pocket! Scooter know where that was! Was place make Scooter paw hurt. Scooter stand up.

“Scooter, lay back down. We can’t go anywhere. I have to call Margo and have her bring the spare key. You lay down and be good!”

Grrrrrr. Scooter can help!

“Hi Dear” Say Grandpappy talking his phone “I lost my key.  It must have fallen out while I was walking Scooter. Can you bring me the spare one? I’m at the parking lot by the boat ramp. Tell them you are here to rescue your idiot husband and maybe you won’t have to pay the $6 admission fee. Yeah, it will take you about 20 minutes to get here, so I will look for it some.

Trail
The damn thing will cost $100 to replace. Maybe, I’ll get lucky”

Grandpappy not need luck. Grandpappy need Scooter. Scooter help!

“C’mon boy. I need to find my car key”

Scooter pull Grandpappy direction of place that hurt Scooter paw. Grandpappy pull Scooter other way.

“This way, Scooter! I must have lost it when you nearly pulled the leash out of my hands.”

Scooter is tired. But, Scooter good dog. Scooter lead Grandpappy to place where squirrel run away to tell friends. Grandpappy look. Grandpappy look. Grandpappy look.

“It’s not here.

Scooter pull Grandpappy to key!
” I guess we’ll have to back to the car and wait for Margo.”

Scooter pull Grandpappy back down trail. When get to parking lot Grandpappy try to pull Scooter to car. Scooter pull hard down trail.

“Are you thirsty again, boy?” say Grandpappy “Well, I guess we have time to go back down to the lake and I can keep looking for my key”

Scooter pull Grandpappy down trail to spot where Scooter paw get hurt. Scooter pull Grandpappy to shortcut.

“Whoa, dog! say Grandpappy. “Did you forget about those stickers already? Let’s keep going down to path to the beach”

Grandpappy pull on rope. Scooter pull back. Scooter pull hard.

“What is wrong with you?” say Grandpappy

Scooter think Grandpappy really is idiot.

View through trees
Scooter have idea. Scooter sniff air. Scooter sniff air again.

“What do you smell, Scooter? say Grandpappy “Do you smell my key!”

Scooter sure. Grandpappy idiot. Scooter could smell key if Scooter knew what key smell like. Scooter never smell key. Scooter know what Grandpappy smell like. That how Scooter find this spot. Scooter see thing fall. Grrrrrrr.

“Look, dog.” say Grandpappy. “It doesn't matter what you think is down there. You can’t walk down there and I’m too tired to carry you. I can’t leave you up here or you will run away.”

Scooter sit.

“Are you trying to tell me, that if I drop this leash, you will sit right there and not take after a bird or something?”

Scooter lay down.

Barr Lake and the Front Range

“I am an idiot” say Grandpappy “I’m gonna sit this leash down, and pretend like the dog is trying to tell me where my key is. Then he is going to run away. Then I will have to call Margo and tell her that I am chasing Scooter around Barr Lake State Park. Then I will have to tell her why. She will have me committed.”

Grandpappy drop leash and start down short cut. Grandpappy take four steps and stop. Grandpappy bend down and pick something up. Grandpappy turn around and look at Scooter with a very strange look

“I found it” say Grandpappy quietly. “No, it couldn’t be You were just tired and wanted to rest. That’s why you pulled so hard.  You just didn’t want to go any father. And I subconsciously remembered that I bent over at this place when I picked you up. That has to be it, right?”

Yup, my Grandpappy is an idiot.

Irrigation lock
Scooter get up. Scooter walk slowly back towards car.

Grasshopper
Squirrel is about to run off to te…
Squirrel is about to run off to t…
Other trial. Barr Lake have lots
Other trial. Barr Lake have lots
Wildlife viewing blind
Wildlife viewing blind
Scooter not see any wildlife, othe…
Scooter not see any wildlife, oth…
Brighton Sights & Attractions review
Bald Eagles found here!
Barr Lake State Park is located on the southeastern fringe of Brighton, CO, and is best know for the pair of Bald Eagles that raise chicks each year. … read entire review
Brighton