In the forest of clouds

Monteverde Travel Blog

I arrived in Monteverde in the evening just about the time the local disco starting cranking up the music so that my hotel shook a bit in the night, who said that travel was always quiet anyway.   The next day I went with a group and a guide to see the quetzals in the cloud forest and was not disappointed in any way.   The males were out on branches of trees getting ready for photos, they knew that I didnĀ“t have my camera, smart birds they are.    The weather was exceptionally clear.   I took a walk for a few hours by myself down the trails of the forest and had a great time being in a virgin cloud forest that could be out of an age from long ago.   The cloud forest is dark on the floor and full of sounds of birds calling near and far.

On Sunday after a little walk near my hotel and getting a chance to see some local birds, I went back to Santa Ana down the highway in a tourist.   Driving in Costa Rica is not for the faint of heart, I just hoped that the van driver had a good nights sleep so that he could pass the cars on blind curves with some degree of safety.

photo by: smhirsch