Walking up the pyramids

Flores Travel Blog

 › entry 18 of 20 › view all entries
Orion arrived last Saturday in Antigua after an all night flight from Los Angeles a little tired, but still in good spirites.   We walked around Antigua to keep him awake visiting the ruins of the churches in town and getting a good look at the city.   We had a good time being together after not having seen each other for a while.   The next day we were joined by a student I met in Costa Rica, Shiela, and we were off to Chichicastango to do a little shoping and to give Orion and Shiela a tast of Guatemalan culture and markets.   As usual the market put us into sensory overload after about 30 minutes and we managed to buy a few things.    We also visited a Mayan holy site to see prayers being offered up for good things.  We returned to Antigua the same day to give us a chance to do a little more exploring the next day around town at the cemetary using the local police as a tour guide.

On Tuesday we went to visit the Pucaya Volcano, which I visited the week before with the school that I was attending.   This time we left Antigua at 6 am to get up on the mountain before the fog and rain came in.   I was feeling a little under the weather so I rode a horse for the first part of the hike.   When we got up on the lava, it was still hot and moving slowly.   Orion set the pack down on what he thought was cooler rocks, but it ended up melting a part of the pack.   Fortunately I removed the camera before the pack got cooked.  

After coming down the volcano we rushed off to the airport to fly off to Eastern Guatemala to explore the Mayan Ruines.   We arrived a little after dark in a small town called El Ramate.   The name comes from the local beetle which is about the size of a golf ball that terrorized us during dinner that night.   Fortunately they didn´t bit, if they had they probably could eat a good chunk of flesh.   Are hotel was on the edge of a lake and was really located in the middle of paradise in terms of colors and views.   The next day we experience the heat of the Guatemalan jungle on a hike and learned to carry lots of water.  It was close to a 100 degrees with about the same level of humidity.

The next couple of days we saw the ruines at Tikal and Yaxhua.   Tikal is the larger of the two sites, but there was almost no one else at Yaxhua which made it very special.   We did our share of pyramid climbing coming close to heat exhaustion a couple of times.    We found a local restaurant to our hotel that served creeps that were great and the walk home in the rain after dinner was refreshing.  

On Saturday we returned to Guatemala City so that Orion could return home and I could get chilly in Chile.

SandMan says:

Good to see that you're having a great time and have escaped from the madness the rest of us are going through. The wind has kept me off the water so I don't have any fishing stories to share. When you get back the winds should be civil and we'll have to go out. BTW I'm sending your blog adress to Isabel because she asked and I need her to interpret. Laura also wants to join in as well.


Posted on: Jun 22, 2007
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Deannimal