Antigua - the heart of Latin America and the land of Clear Spanish

Antigua Travel Blog

After my last Spanish lesson in Costa Rica, I flew to Guatemala City in a very smooth trip.    During my van ride from Guatemala City I discovered that I came to place where I could actually understand what people were saying (at least some of the time!).   El español es muy claro aqui!   The language is beautiful as well as the colonial city of Antigua.   It acually looks like a old Spanish city with a fantistic central park where people sit on the weekends and evening and talk to strangers including my self.   Que suerte!   The streets are cobble stone so the cars can only go about 10 miles/hour.   La ciudad esta muy tranquilo y muy segura porque hay muchos policias en la calle.   Tambien hay muchos Mayans en la calle quien dan la ciudad muchos colores y tambien mucho encanto.   Creo que Antigua es la mas bella ciudad colonial en todo america central.   La comida esta bien pero los mexicanos pueden enseñar el arte de cocinando aqui.

My ex Chiron collegue, Catherine arrived on Friday night and we have begun to explore the city and started a week of Spanish lesson at a school in Antigua.  On Sunday night we saw a procession with a float of Mary carried by 30-40 people on their shoulders along with cast of many people dressed as arabs, a band and people dressed in black uniforms.   The burning of incense and music were transforming for the both of us.

The language school here is much different and less formal than the school in Costa Rica.   So much less stress than before, but I am probably learning a bit less, but I am not dead at the end of the day. We have been visiting the local towns and just finished an informal tour of a church and ruins of a church destroyed in 1976.   The area is facinating and extremely friendly to tourists.   The culture here is a totally different world from Costa Rica and California.   Except for cars, internet and a few other things it is a trip into the past.   Me encanta mucho Antigua.   It is good to finally leave the world that I am usually used to.

Write or call 011- 502-55263257

SandMan says:
Fishing has been on hold due to windy conditions and I had to work last weekend to resolve particle problems in the CMF. Three weeks ago I fished out of Still Water Cove in Carmel, just off the Pebble Beach golf course. I didn't see Tiger Woods but I did catch two big ling cod and a few rock cod. When you get back rock cod season should be in full swing and I'd like to see someone catch something off of a SIK.

SandMan says:
Oh I see, my first comment was way too long, I'll try short ones. Let's see, hot items...Erin left for Gilead, Mike D is now at Amgen, Fremont, Carmen Uy is at Genitope and Janice Wilson turned in her resignation. More to follow as things happen...

Sid,

I tried posting a long comment with updates but it didn't get accepted. Sounds like you're having a good time. We'll catch up when you get back in town.

Antigua