A Day and Night in Kitchener with my sister and her son Isaac

Kitchener Travel Blog

My daughter at my sister's house

After 12 years of not seeing each other, my sister and I, finally met when I decided to make what is known as a 'igh travel'n to Canada, and she in turn agreed to pick us up at the airport and have u spend a night with her. Kitchener is located in southern Ontario and is the location of the municipal of Waterloo. From the United States, one can actually drive into Kitchener especially if you live in Detroit or Michigan. It is located about three- four hours drive from the two states, and about 100 kilometers west of Toronto. My sister relocated there 12 years ago and has since purchased a home in this beautiful town. Our flight out of Washington arrived in Pearson on time, so the drive to Kitchener was smooth and easy seeing as it was early in the morning.

My daughter and nephew at my sister's house
The sun was promising to keep the day hot, by the time we got to my sister's place at 10:00 am; it was a burning 89 degrees Fahrenheit. My sister told me that Kitchener is known for Canada’s greatest Bavarian Festival; the Oktoberfest. She said I would love it if I ever made it to the festival, but since I was there in July and not October, we did what girls do when they get together, go to the mall (smile!).

As you can imagine, we spent a lot of time catching up on what happened to the both of us over the past 12 years. My daughter grew up, she had a son who I was meeting for the first time, and I had a son who she was meeting for the first time. It was quite joyous reunion, for once, I did not think much about going out to tour sights and attractions of a destination I looked forward to seeing.

Me and my nephew
However, my sister knowing how much I like culture and art, decided to include the attractions of her home city in our conversation. We talked about the religious attractions and art museums, we did not visit any due to time constraints, but we made plans to spend more time touring next summer, God willing. We both agreed that we needed more time to visit the historical, cultural and religious attractions, enjoy the parks and restaurants, none of which my sister does due to the demanding nature of her job. She mentioned the Farmers Market and took us to the location of one of the largest farmer’s markets in Kitchener and Waterloo. I love farmers markets, I shop at a few in Arizona.

We visited the mall downtown Kitchener where we had coffee and tea at Tim Horton’s, and later lunch at the food court. Independent reviews of the two eateries will be written, look out for those later.

My daughter at my sisters house
My daughter at my sister's house
My daughter and nephew at my siste…
My daughter and nephew at my sist…
Me at the mall in Kitchener
Me at the mall in Kitchener
Kitchener Sights & Attractions review
Farmers Markets, Horses, and no Modern Ammenities
My sister took us on a drive through Kitchener; during the drive she took us through the neighborhoods of the Mennonites who are embedded in the very … read entire review
Kitchener Sights & Attractions review
Kitchener's Most Famous Outdoor Park
We made a quick stop at Victoria Park on our way home after the mall. My sister told me this was one of the outdoor places she and her son go to often… read entire review
Kitchener