Be'er Sheva to the Palestinian settlement

Be'er Sheva Travel Blog

Ben Gurion University
I woke up late, and took the bus, this time successfully, to Ben Gurion University from Na'ama's place.

Before I left, I pet Anton, Na'ama's fluffy orange cat and Oliver, the "Egyptian" slim pitch black cat for the last time. They reminded me of home, of my affectionate furry cat Happy, and my aloof black cat Hannah. I would miss them.

I waited by the gates and saw some Israeli girls and an American-English-speaking guy get into a bus. I asked where they were going and they said that that was the bus to Mount South Hebron. I boarded and we introduced ourselves, then Na'ama got on.

She explained to us about the mistreatment of the Palestinians by the settlers. She said that the settlers willingly abused the Palestinians and would do things like tossing cement into their water wells, shoot at them, or beat them.
Ben Gurion University
The situation, according to her, was that the settlers would come into an area, illegally squat, and then the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) would HAVE to come in to "protect" them. So if the IDF was there, then electricity and running water would have to be installed. And before you knew it, there would be a functioning town of sorts, with all the trappings of a town, though illegal.

One of the Israel girls, whose name I forgot now though we all introduced ourselves, scoffed and asked. "It's so easy then? The Palestinians are all victims? They don't hate us?"

Na'ama was patient, saying something to the effect, "Of course there are extremists who believe we shouldn't exist. But the settlers should not abuse the Palestinians, this is their land.
grounds of Ben Gurion University
They hit the Palestinians, they cut into the Palestinians' land with roads, so the Palestinians cannot get to their farms, and live. They confront us too for trying to help the Palestinians. They don't even try to listen.
"

Yaaniev, also part of the Combatants for Peace told us about his experience as a boy soldier, 18years old, trained to receive command before his mind was fully formed by maturity, and sent to war. He had killed for his country but was now ready to lay down his weapons and find a solution that allowed for the distinct groups to live in peace.

He introduced Yousef, a Palestinian whose brother was killed. Yousef talked about how he was angry, bitter at the lost of his brother who was murdered but that the cycle of revenge did nothing but cause more bloodshed; that it was time to end the hatred.

www.travbuddy.com
grounds of Ben Gurion University
Yaaniv from the peace org.
Yaaniv from the peace org.
the tour group