AsiaIndiaUdaipur

Did you just say Octopussy?

Udaipur Travel Blog

Lake Palace Hotel

Welcome to Udaipur, Rajasthan, home of the Lake Palace Hotel. Udaipur is said to be the most romantic city in India. I would agree with that, except like most romantic places I traveled to around the world, I'm there with another guy! This time around its Emile. Yep, the big Swede that I first met up with in China about 4 months ago. Over some beers back in Sri Lanka in September we decided to travel together around India, since we both feared having to deal with all things India on our own.  Lol. So first stop Udaipur.

If you're a James Bond fan you will recognize the city from the movie Octopussy. As in the movie,  the highlight of Udaipur is a 350-year old grand palace (now upscale hotel), that takes up a full island in the lake.
Colourful Rajasthani Saris
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to actually visit the hotel, as only hotel guests and those with lunch or dinner reservations are allowed.  And at minimum $300 a night and $50 and $100 for lunch and dinner, respectively, its out of my budget for this trip!

Having spent a few days Udaipur, I think the best time to view the island hotel is at night.  Its especially beautiful at night when its all lite up and you and your Swedish friend are sitting gazing out upon it eating by candlelight at the restaurant across the lake! Haha. Don't worry we "manned" it up with lots of beer and a full tandoori chickens!

Udaipur however isn't limited to the island palace, there is an awesome City Palace the overlooks the lake, a second island palace (not a hotel), and a great old town with a maze of centuries old streets. I spent hours walking around in the narrow streets taking pictures and enjoying the history of the place.

As you can imagine Udaipur was generally full of couples, but eventually after A LOT of searching we found some other young travellers to hang out with. We found this bar, literally called "cool bar" were we hung out most nights. As I've said many times, one of the best parts of travel I find is talking with people from around the world. Good stories are always part of the menu over some food, beers and good company :)

Next up, Jaisalmer and camel trekking!
Colourful Rajasthani Turban