Stockholm, Love and Surprises

Toronto Travel Blog

Kamal :)

Well much to the surprise of everyone, I never made it to Stockholm, Sweden! My New Years escape to Sweden was just part of an elaborate plan to throw off my girlfriend and surprise her 4 days earlier than she thought! 4 days early to give her the ultimate surprise!

For days now she has been counting down till my arrival back home, January 2nd, but for months I've known of this early surprise home.  See when I came back in October I realized, now that I'd been gone more than 3 months, how much I love my girlfriend and how much I missed her those 3 months. So there and then I decided to come back early to surprise her! Little did she know over the next couple months I'd get people across many continents to keep a secret.  Of course not everyone knew, I even had to lie to some family members :), but those that knew were told to keep quiet and definitely not post anything on Facebook! Everyone except for Emile that is.
Mission Accomplished!
  During my time in India I decided as part of this charade that I was going to “spend” New Years Eve in Sweden. So during the last weeks of my trip, me and Emile decided to post on each others Facebook page to keep up the charade, while I updated blog entries with my plans and of course kept her up to speed as well, well almost ;)

So last Wednesday, December 30, I texted her to say I’d landed in Sweden (just like I had done when I landed in every new country before). Little did she know I was already back in Canada and just had landed in Toronto! :).  So now the game was on! I had to make sure she didn't suspect I was home, nor could anyone else know I was home either. To make sure of this and not screw up the surprise, I never changed out my UK sim card, so the phone number in her call display was always a foreign one! ;).
Neil and Me at the Club
  After an hour being back home, I texted her to say I would be out of contact for a bit, while I went out with Emile. In reality, I really needed to get some sleep before I completed my plan, to stay on my game, because jumping through as many time zones as I have been doing makes you very tired!

So finally the time came to put this surprise into gear. That night I drove down to her place, parked my car far away and gave her a call. The plan was to pretend I was drunk partying it up late in Stockholm and then to knock on her door.  Problem was she wasn't picking up the phone!  But I knew she was home because earlier I had texted her to see what her plans were for the night [meeting all my friends at a club in Yorkville].  I must have called at least three times before I got to her house.
Me, Bert, Kevin and Asanga
  When I got to her porch, the lights were on, so I figured she was in the shower.  So I waited , and waited in the freezing cold for another 10 minutes! Then finally, she picked up!

Once she picked up I pretended to be drunk, I believe I said "Hi! I'm drunk in Swedeeeen, miss you, love you" haha. She then in response said, "I know your drunk! And I love you and miss you too..". Then I continued for a minute with some random drunken chatter about hot Swedish girls and drinking and then finally knocked really hard on her front door! She told me to hold on one second, "there is someone at the door".  I said ok and waited.....the stairway light turned on, and as I watched her come down the steps I heard "O’ my god, what are you doing here!" and a big smile came to her face! My big white smile is what made her realize it was me, lol since I was standing in the dark on the porch! I yelled “Surprise!” and gave her a big kiss and a hug. As Dubya says, "mission accomplished". :)

That night the surprise not only ended up being for her but for a bunch of my friends too! See in the time that I was gone, Kamal had become good friends with my friends and was meeting a bunch of them for drinks that very night. So I headed to the club with her and had a second surprise! Funny enough, they too didn't know when I was coming back either, they would email me and I'd avoid the question, they would call my parents and my dad would lie and say January 1! Lol. What a great night.  Its awesome to be home again!

All in all that day turned out to be just as I pictured it! A big surprise, happiness and a lot of love. :)

Final thoughts about my 6 months off to come...

Ru
drety says:
Good plan mate! I could never have pulled that off! What's your email and facebook?
Posted on: Jan 17, 2010
sweetsummerdaiz says:
Good for you to be able to pull that off! Gotta a love a man with a plan!!
Posted on: Jan 09, 2010