AsiaChinaLongji

Rice Terraces and Sweltering Heat

Longji Travel Blog

Rice Terraces
A little north of Guilin is the Longji rice terraces.  Along the way I was told by a couple of Brits that this was definitely something worthwhile to see.  Emile had been told that next to the great wall, these terraces were the next most important thing to see in China.  I don’t know WTF these people were smoking, but these terraces weren’t the length of time it took to get there or how early we had to get up or the 45 degree heat we had climbing up to see the terraces!

Now I admit, in the pictures it looks lovely and probably at the correct time of year it would look spectacular, but at this time of year it isn’t that great of a site to see. Its July, they plant the rice in May and harvest it in October, we probably were there way to early to appreciate it.   Too bad.

On a positive note to this daytrip, I got some great photos of some of the local minority woman.
Minority Girl
  In this area, you find various minority groups the Yao, Mien and Dong (I as far as I remember) are all dressed up in their traditional dresses for the tourists that come visit the site.  Very beautiful.  The older Yao women don’t cut their hair, only twice in their lives I believe.  So when they unravel it you can imagine how long their hair is.

After we checked out the rice terraces, we all returned to Guilin and our little group of four became solo travelers once again.  Sarim was going back to Beijing, G to Sanya in the south, and Emile to Shenzhen to see a friend.  Me, I’m off to Shanghai.

It was great travelling with all of them, especially with Emile.  I heard the hardest part about traveling solo is saying goodbye.  With Emile, I’m sure its more like a see you soon.  We hope to meet up again in Thailand somewhere.

Cheers,

Ruwan

Minority Girl
Me and my Cowboy Hat at the top.  …
Me and my Cowboy Hat at the top. …
Yao Woman