Laidback town, mountain mist and smiling monks

Mount Emei Travel Blog

On the way up Mount Emei
Me and Emile were welcomed to the town of Emei Shan on the local bus by a group of very welcoming locals, including a cute little girl who offered me some fruit.  What stop did I get off at, is this China?! Yes it is, and this is the China I was hoping for.  Some of my first thoughts of Emei Shan was THIS is the real China.

People smiled, looks of intrigue and curiosity filled the faces of the people I met along the way to the hotel.  A lady on the bus even called the hotel we were staying at, the Teddy Bear Hotel, to tell them we were on our way!  The local bus even stopped in front of the Teddy Bear Hotel, where the proprietor Andy, with his Chullet (Chinese Mullet) greeted us and walked us down the ally to his hotel.  He even paid for the bus ride! Definitely a great little place and for a change so friendly!!

I am actually writing this entry sometime after being in Emei Shan and I think the reason for this change in pace from the rest of China is that this is a smaller city/town, also because it’s a bit of a tourist destination, where, Mount Emei, one of the four scared Buddhist mountains in China is found.
Elephant temple at summit
  Whatever the reason, it was a good break from the bigger cities that’s for sure.

We came to Emei Shan to climb the mountain and then hike down to stay in one of the monasteries.  To make a long story short, we ended up staying at Teddy Bear another night, no monastery stay, because it was raining on the mountain and because my legs couldn’t take the climb up the mountain.  Damn shin splints really bugging me, who would have thought all the swimming I used to do growing up would come back to haunt me later! Ah well.

Usually foreigners that come to Emei Shan, get up early to climb the mountain, at about 3100m its about a 2 day hike there and back.  I took the bus and cable car up J

Getting up the mountain was entertaining.
Monk paying respect to monument
The usual stares followed me up the mountain, but I think the most interesting part was getting into the cable car.  Now only 50 people are allowed into the waiting area to get into the car, so one would think ok, everyone is going to get on, no problem.  WRONG.  There are two sets of doors to the car loading area, of course this is China, so they only open up one set and then everyone starts to push to get to through the door and door that isn’t even opened yet!  Lines and Chinese don’t work.  On a side note, for example if there is a line you can usually find a few people that will cut right in front of you and the crowd behind.   Only to look back at everyone in disgust like THEY were doing something wrong for standing in line!

Anyways, soon the doors open and everyone starts to push.
Me and Monks
  Now me and Emile have had it with all the pushing so we start to push back, they messed with the wrong two foreigners!  So I push a few, Emile does the same, soon you see little Chinese people flying everywhere and falling down.  But funny enough they all laugh and smile! I think they actually find it fun to be pushed around!  So what is the secret to making Chinese people smile? Push them! O’ and say Ni Hao to them as rude as you can.  Rudeness seems to go a long way! Lol J

On top of the mountain, we were greeted by an almost mystical mist.  Something like the mist I once saw in Nikko, Japan while visiting the Shogan temples.  The mist was fitting as it gave this sacred site a more magical feel.

At the very top, at the golden summit, as they call it.
Cute Tibetan child
  Is this HUGE elephant monument.  Very cool.  Also at the top of the mountain were a group of Buddhist monks who were very excited to see both me and Emile.  For about 20 minutes, they each stood with us and took pictures.  That actually was the highlight of the visit to Emei Shan.

Soon after the photo session with the monks, we made our way down, what seemed 1000s of stairs back down to the bus station.  I think in the end it was about a 5 km hike down.  Not bad, if I only had to hike down a mountain I would be a wicked mountain climber, hmm well mountain descenter!

Next stop Leshan, home to the biggest seated stone Buddha in the world.

Cheers,

R

cloudcover says:
I totally get what you say about the lines. Happens in other places in Asia, too. LOL.
Posted on: Jun 23, 2010
Me and Buddhist Monk
Me and Buddhist Monk
Monks taking pictures of me
Monks taking pictures of me
Monks taking more pictures of me
Monks taking more pictures of me
Me and Emile laughing it up at all…
Me and Emile laughing it up at al…
Me at top