India - Final Thoughts

New Delhi Travel Blog

Unapologetic, chaotic, crass, poverty, rich, developing, colourful, beautiful, hopeful, peaceful...all words I can use to describe my India experience, but I think India tourism's slogan sums up India the best, "Incredible".

My India experience can be broken into two parts, the boys orphanage and 3 weeks by backpack and bus from the south to the north of India.

My first 3 weeks working at the Seva Trust boys orphanage was a great time. I got to spend some quality time with the boys while they were off on vacation. While there I got to be a kid again, playing football, cricket and chess, but also got to be a mentor and teach them a few things about the world and to let them know that anything in life is possible to achieve with some hard work. Overall I just hope they all gained something from their time with me. That it will be something they look back on and remember, because I definitely will remember each one of them. Also hopefully in the New Year I’ll be able to throw that fundraising dance and raise money for them to all go to decent schools to get the best education they possibly can.

I left the boys on a high and the following three weeks were full of excitement! With Emile, we ended up covering a lot of India by bus and train. I got to spend a lot of time in Rajasthan riding camels, exploring ancient forts and old towns. On top of getting the opportunity to do some of, I think, my best portrait photpgraphy.  After Rajasthan, I finally got to visit the Golden Temple in Amritsar, and it was just as beautiful as I thought it would be. As beautiful or even more beautiful then the Taj Mahal, both truly live up to the hype.  Next up was Mcleod Ganj, a beautiful little town in the foothills of the Himalayas. A place I believe is one of my favourite places in India!  The people there, especially the Tibetan refugees, are what make this place so nice.  I don't think anywhere in my travels have I met a nicer group of individuals then the Tibetans. I finished off my tour in the holy city of Varanasi. Such an old place, such a busy place, but also one of the most quietest and peaceful places I've ever been.

On top of all the places I visited and things I did while in India, I believe another highlight were the great friends I met, Emile and Sid. Like I've said before, traveling is not only about seeing places, its about meeting new people.  I made lots of local friends, spent a day or two with them, or sometimes even an hour or two. They all have a place in my mind when I look back on this experience, but with Emile and Sid, I'm sure I will meet up with them again sometime soon.  I had a blast traveling around with both of them, from the late night’s out eating non-veg Punjabi food, to Kingfishers with Tibetans late at night, to the late night games of "bidness" or Indian monopoly. All of it I’ll look back on fondly. Thanks for the great time guys.

So overall the past 6 weeks have definitely been a positive experience, one that I’ll always remember.  I didn't come to India to find myself, like a lot of westerns tend to do, but I did have an experience that can't be replicated anywhere else in the world. That's what make it so unique, like I said before, India is so many things, but one thing is for sure, it is incredible! :)

Next up, Africa...