High-highs and low-lows, the life of a solo traveller

Bangkok Travel Blog

So its been almost 6 weeks of me travelling around on my own.  I have to say its been interesting, full of great sites and interesting places and people.  It’s definitely a different experience travelling on your own.  I remember a movie I recently watched called “A Map for Saturday” about one man’s experience backpacking for one year.  He too shared similar thoughts, but at the same time said there were high-highs and low-lows.  I totally concur with that view!

While travelling alone I’ve actually met a bunch of other travellers. With some, like Emile, we travelled together for a week or more, others I’ve spent the day with or just shared a drink.  All good times.  But then there are the times you are alone, sometimes its great to have some “me-time”, but sometimes it can become very lonely and boring.  Boring more than lonely I would say.

I remember going to my cooking classes in Chiang Mai and for three days learned to cook Thai food and talked with many different travellers from around the world. Those days were fantastic, but then I would get back to my hostel I would get this feeling of boredom and even loneliness sometimes.  It was such an odd feeling to be so happy and enjoying meeting new people, to a total opposite feeling of boredom and indifference, all in the same day! Its all a part of travelling solo, I knew that.  Just learning to accept it is sometimes easier said then done.

Anyways, usually when I’m feeling like that I’ll go for a walk around the town or take a walk on the beach like I did last night.  You can be sure someone here will talk to you, but not necessarily talking to you because they want to, but because they want to sell you something! But hey, its interaction right :)

The one other thing I’ve noticed about myself lately, is that I’ve become more indecisive about what I want to do, where I want to go.  Too many great options, with a lot of time on your hands! Leaving China 8 days early definitely threw off my schedule and plans.  Sometimes I honestly think some of this indecisiveness is because this is my fourth straight year in Asia.  I think I’m all asia-ed out! I’ve basically seen everything I’ve wanted to see in Asia, specifically the Orient, except for Tibet of course.  Funny not knowing where to go next, fits in with what I quoted in my first blog entry, “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.”.  How fitting.

Soon I’ll be going to Sri Lanka to meet up with family.  So that should be a good break from the solo life.  I haven’t been back in 10 years, so I know my extended family back home is excited to see me as I am to see them.

Things I’ve learnt about myself and things thus far on the trip? Travelling by myself is good.  I have the freedom to do whatever I want and make plans on the fly. Learnt not to book (specially flights) anything in advance, as time spent in certain places change, moods changes, destinations change.  Canada, I totally appreciate living there and calling it my home, we back home have a lot to be proud of.  What else? I miss having a bit of a routine, water pressure, I miss my family and friends back home, and most of all I miss my girlfriend Kamal. :)

Cheers,