Be the change you wish to see in the world

Panaji Travel Blog

Tushar, Robert, and Alex :)

“You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Gandhi

I've always wanted volunteer abroad, make some positive change in someone’s life, especially with kids. So one of my goals in my 6 months off was to spend some quality time volunteering and I couldn’t think of a better place to volunteer then in India.

Well its been a day now since I left the boys orphanage just outside of Panjim, Goa.  To tell you the truth I don't even know where to start writing, it was such a great experience, too many great memories and a bunch of wonderful kids.

I arrived in Goa back on October 18. I originally thought I was to be working in a daycare and then be spending the rest of the time sharing a volunteers home just off one Goa's beautiful beaches.  Well as we've seen so far in my travels, things change. The original placement pulled out because of "swine flu" fears (they say), and a volunteer flat just off the beach, turned into a room by myself at a boys orphanage just outside the capital, Panjim.

I won't go into details of my experience with a certain travel company and the lies and money wasted. Doing so will take away from such a rewarding experience. Despite the nonsense with that company, I've always thought everything in life happens for a reason, this is one of those times.

I ended up working with Seva Trust (, a organization that takes care of orphaned and disadvantaged boys and girls, as well as a daycare for migrant worker children.  Many of the kids have parents, some just one, but all can't afford to put their kids through school because of poverty, parents with alcohol abuse, you name it.  I was asked to volunteer at the boys home.  The boys had never had a volunteer come work with them before I came, and hopefully I'm not the last (more on my plans later...)

13 boys in total live at the boys home, all ranging from 6 to 13.  5 boys from south India and 8 boys from Manipur, in the Northeast of India, bordering Myanmar (Burma).  Lucky for me, my arrival coincided with school Diwali Holidays, so I got to spend a lot of time with the boys and get to know all of them really well.

More to come soon…….