Blijdorp or the Rotterdam Zoo

Leiden Travel Blog

Flamingo's

Easter sunday came with some very nice weather, so we decided to visit the Rotterdam Zoo, or Blijdorp, as it is known here. I grew up in Rotterdam and I always loved visiting the zoo; for me, this is one of the greatest zoo's in Europe. Everytime I visit I see new things since the zoo is constantly changing and improving.

We took the train from Leiden to Rotterdam, and then walked 10 minutes to the entrance of the Zoo; the old entrance it is, since in recent years a second one opened at the Oceanium side. This old entrance is being renovated now (one thing I also like: keeping old and intergrating it into the new).

After a quick cup of coffee we were off: we started by walking the Gorilla route, at the end picked up the blue route and last the Elephant route; if you follow all these routes you'll see everything! The zoo wasn't as busy as I expected, considering it being Easter Sunday. But I have to admit: there are some stupid and annoying people in this world! F.E. at the leopards, overhearing a mum: 'Look, a tiger' or the lady who thought it was a great idea to dress in all white and then complained see got dirty! or parents that shove you over just because you're an adult and they want their kid to stand in front of you; very nice if you're just taking a picture!

But anyway, I had a great day once again!

Flamingos