AfricaEgyptCairo

The Great Pyramid and the Little Shack

Cairo Travel Blog

It was a sunny day, 120 degrees out with a blue sky on July 7th 2007. One of my dreams finally came true, which was landing on the African continent for the first time.  I expected a memorable trip, but I was surprised by what I remembered.

I was in front of the pyramids in Cairo, Egypt with Bill, my husband, for our first anniversary.  I lost my mind when I finally saw the pyramids and the Sphinx. I just couldn’t believe that they have been there for thousands of years. It definitely was a good way to mark our anniversary day.

After we spent a satisfying day seeing the pyramids, we wanted to use the bathroom. We asked a policeman where the bathroom was, and he pointed to a small, run-down shack that we had passed earlier.  The bathroom attendant asked us for tips, so we gave him a few piastres and got in line.

After few minutes, it was our turn to use the unisex bathroom. When I entered, my eyes opened widely, I almost screamed, and my body was frozen.  I gazed at the filthy toilet. I could see yellow-brownish colored water and feces inside. Flies were swarming all over the place. It smelled like a zoo. I even had to hold my breath. I looked down to make sure I wasn’t standing in a puddle of urine. The desert heat and foul smell made the tiny stall feel like a prison cell.  I wanted to flush the toilet before using it, but there wasn’t a flush bottom. Then I had to think for a minute whether I should just leave or actually use the bathroom.  If that brown, germ-filled water splashed on me, I might get a disease. After thinking deeply about what to do, I decided to just leave for my safety. As I left, the guy whom I tipped poured water into the toilet to flush it. That must be why it was so gross.

I never thought that the bathrooms at the Pyramid site would be a part of my memories of Egypt. The pyramids are grand and impressive, but the bathroom is just as unforgettable for different reasons. Seeing the pyramids had been a dream of mine for all my life, but I was surprised to see how this dream was realized. At that time I was seriously confused and shocked, but now it’s one of my best and funniest memories.

This is what I wrote for English class...and I love it so much now. So, I also wanna keep it here, and people can share this....

free08 says:
beautiful photos!
Posted on: Dec 07, 2012
Cairo Hotels & Accommodations review
Good Hotel
It's located near the pyramid, so it's great if you wanna see the pyramid. You can even walk to the pyramid. Staff are really friendly and speak g… read entire review
Cairo