Fire Engine and Espionage

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Fire Truck
After the zorbing, we went back to Edinburgh for a wee flat party then a curry.  The curry was excellent, and I will need to search my memory to see if I can remember where we had it.  But the waiter was hilarious and had a very cool black kilt, and put up with a hen do so I think he needs serious brownie points.  I certainly made sure I tipped!

And then, we went for a ride in a fire engine. Not a real one, obviously.  Well, it is sort of a real one. But it has three bottles of cheap champagne, a sniggering driver and cheesy club tunes, so not really.

I had been unconvinced about the fire engine, because no-one ever wants to be one of those mad women screaming out of the window of a fire engine.
Fire Truck
  Al of us want to believe that we are far classier than that.  Right up until the point that someone hands you a slightly indecently shaped whistle, a silly hat, and some cheap champagne.  And you know something?  Leaning out of the window of a fire engine shouting "HIYA!!! HAPPY SATURDAY!!! WAVE!!!!" is actually fun.  Demanding that the fire engine driving guy - who is a real fireman, apparently, when he is not ferrying drunk women around - plays 500 Miles by The Proclaimers is fun.  And getting cheap champagne all over your skirt when it goes over a speed bump?  Fun.

So if you were one of the people I bellowed at, I'm sorry.  The fire engine rolled around the streets, up and down the grassmarket, and past the Castle, until we got to the Edinburgh capital of hen and stag dos and rugby tours, Espionage, and I have never seen so many people in fancy dress in one place at one time.  And of course, there is something about being in a hen party that attracts some very intense attention.  There are probably several photos of the bride, and all the hens, firmly presenting a cheek to people demanding kisses.  And at one point we were playing volleyball with ... look, call it a balloon, OK?

Funnily enough, we were all done by about 1am, and home to our own beds.  It was a great night.
Fire Truck
The castle from the fire engine.
The castle from the fire engine.
Edinburgh Hotels & Accommodations review
Blossom House
Blossom House is a family run bed and breakfast on Minto Street. The rooms are clean, and nicely decorated, in teh old fashioned way that I associate … read entire review
Edinburgh Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Kismot
Kismot is an Indian Restaurant is on St Leanard's Street, near the Pleasance. The curry here is very nice, with a wide range of both the classics … read entire review
Edinburgh