Butterfield Dive

Guam Travel Blog

The view around :)

A nice marina/restaurant area named Jan Z’s was the meeting point for my diving trip today. I got there around 8:20 AM and there were bunch of people already loaded to boat. I was introduced to Skip, the captain of the boat and Ron, his cool assistant. I was told that this would be an independent dive type of thing where you normally dive without a dive guide. It seemed people came together with their own group, so I was basically alone and might need to tag along with one group. But there was a U.S. NAVY guy named John who also showed up alone so we ended up being buddies.

I was glad that John is familiar with the dive spots we were heading to. We both prepared our gear and talked about all the procedures that will take place when we are down there.

Dolphins!
I was nervous since it was going to be my first independent diving experience.

Our first dive spot was Coral Gardens. Unfortunately, as soon I as jumped in the water I had some trouble. My left fin was slid off my foot and I had to descend ahead of time and get back up to the surface to put it back on and tighten. After everything was okay John gave a signal to descend. I released some air from my inflator but I suddenly dropped down too fast because I carried too much weight.  I tried not to panic and adjust my buoyancy. Then, I was having trouble equalizing pressure in my ears. Hahaha, what’s with me? I was just grateful that John was being such a good buddy and he was really taking care of me until I could control everything. Coral Gardens has a nice variety of coral sites and great cavern and sandy bottom.

Jan Z's
I was able to see a cute green spot nudibranch, lion fish and some other coral fishes. We dove for 45 minutes down to 80ft.

We had an hour of rest before our second dive, so this time was spent socializing with other people on board and sharing snacks. Suddenly we heard someone scream! It turned out that there was a school of dolphins swimming around the boat. It was a great show and I got some really good pictures of them!! Sweet!

Our second dive spot was HAP’S Reef. We descended smoothly without having any problems! I saw a loaf-shaped reef covered with some anemones and tropical fishes, and there were plenty of schooling fish around. The fish were very friendly and they just swam around me! We dove for 60 minutes to a depth of 53ft.

YantiSoeparno says:
Wah bahaya banget kalo gak ada siapa2...
Posted on: Apr 24, 2009
inirr says:
Rin, kok ada ya yg namanya independent dive? Bukannya gak blh diving sendirian?
Wah Rin...untuuung ada si US navy...kbayang tuh klo ga ada dia.
Mgkn jg krn lu deg-degan sedikit panik, jadi equalizing susah, lagian sblmnya lu jg dah naik ke atas trus turunnya tlalu cepet. Gw jg inget waktu gw nyemplung tp lupa pake weight belt! hahaha!!!
Posted on: Apr 23, 2009
coffeefairy says:
wow, what a great experience to see dolphins! lucky you! ;)
Posted on: Apr 23, 2009