Dijon, Burgundy (Bourgogne), France.

Dijon Travel Blog

Dijon Mustard

It's been a while since my last blog (05/11/2007) and such a lot has happend in that time to date 20/04/2009.

So, after spending my second stint in Slovakia, I once again logged onto the internet in search of another adventure and ended up in Dijon, Burgundy or Bourgogne France as the French call it....

I arrived here via a direct flight from Bratislava (checkout www.skyscanner.com for budget airlines around the world) to Paris for 35€ one way and then took a TGV (Train Grande Vitesse, the french high speed national/european train service) for 47€ one way to Dijon.

Townhall,place de liberation, DIJON
(checkout www.SNCF.fr or www.SNCF.co.uk (english version). SNCF is the National Railway of France providing high speed train travel to Europe). If you book in advance and pay online you get better prices.  Paris is a 3 hour drive or 90 minute train ride by TGV. I went to Paris on a day trip from Dijon VILLE to Paris Gare de LYON for 32€ return or (aller et retour in french).

I had come here to another job, which I found on the internet www.anyworkanywhere.com ( a website which offers mainly seasonal jobs to students to give them a taste of working/living in other countries, but it is possible to get other jobs too as i did, it's worth a look!!).

Port de plaisence, canal port in Dijon.
I was looking for a way to fund my continuous travel plans, currently planning a trip to Asia for 2010. WOW!!

Because I had worked for 15 years in Tourism, I was offered the job as a mini bus driver working for a canal barge company that hired their barge out to tourists for a week at a time to discover the delights of the Burgundy canal. The barge was equipped as a hotel, where the clients were accomodated and fed with their own private cabins on board.(to hire the barge was 20.000.00€ yes 20.000.00€  per week) and would accomodate upto 6 clients and a team of 7 staff. The job was working 7 days a week for a salary of 1.400.00€ per month NETT.

I am now living in Dijon and using it as a base to travel from as opposed to returning back to the UK. I know that most of us go on a trip and then have to return home to work in order to finance the next trip, but  I am a little different and did not want to return to the UK, so I decided to look for and find another solution and hey, Presto!

So, about Dijon.

Dijon, France

Dijon began as a Roman settlement called Divio, located on the road from Lyon to PARIS. Saint Begnignus, the city's patron saint, is said to have introduced Christianity to the area before being martyred. This province was home to the Dukes of  Burgundy from the early 11th century AD until the late 1400s and Dijon was a place of tremendous wealth and power and one of the great European centers of art, learning and science. It was occupied by Nazi Germany between June 1940 and early 1945,when it was liberated by joint FRENCH/UK/USA forces.The city itself was liberated on September 11, 1944.

Dijon has a population of over 150.000 and is the capital of Burgundy. It's famous for its Mustard and Wines such as Beaune, Nuits-Saint-George, Vosne-Romanée, Meursault. I am very partial to Rosé!!, but it also has some great Red wines too.

Town centre,Dijon.

There is so much to do and see in Dijon that I would suggest that you checkout http://www.dijon-tourism.com/uk/dijon_ville_venir.htm

ACCOMODATION  in DIJON City centre can be expensive or at least above what you would want to normally pay, due to it been a very Touristy place. Most of us choose to stay in hostels in order to keep our costs down. BUT the one great thing about France is that they have hotel accomodation for the price you would normally pay for a dormatory bed in a hostel, it's true!. Checkout http://www.accorhotels.com/fr/home/index.shtml 'Click' on the 'LANGUES' link in top right of website to change to your language. NOTE: the FORMULE1.

Townhall,Dijon
chain is the cheapest at about 33€ per night per room YES! per room, which accomdates upto 3 persons, thats 11€ each if your traveling with friends, Continental buffet breakfast is an extra 6€ per person but you can eat as much as you like (and sneek out a little extra for your lunch)!! but they do not have en-suite bathrooms. You have to use communal toilets and showers but they are exceptionally clean and located on the opposite side of the corridor to your room. If you prefer en-suite then go for ETAP chain for an extra 5/10€ per room. Also note that in Dijon these hotels will be located in CENTRE COMMERCIAL (Shopping Malls) which is located 2/5 kilometres outside the city centre and accessible by local bus or taxi! I really recommend these hotels as an alternative to hostels. As for me I am still exploring France after 12 months here now.... and am glad that I decided to stay here for the time being at least!! After all it is helping to fund my next big Adventure!! Enjoy!

Townhall,place de liberation, DIJON
Port de plaisence, canal port in D…
Port de plaisence, canal port in …