Day two of the awesome weekend: Meet up with David

Austin Travel Blog

The Class Where Terroir Meets Tradition was the class at the wine fest that David and I met up. We all got a quiz on the word “TERROIR.” Not many passed, but we learned what it meant by the end of the class. A little challenge for all of you out there. The opportunity to meet another TravBuddy is pretty exciting, but to meet one of two who developed the site, was twice as good. David and I had plans to go and eat at another place and made a quick decision that we would meet up and enjoy some good food and some wine. The after noon class talked about the wealth of Texas cultural and culinary influences: the indigenous Mexican population, the predominantly German pioneers of the mid 1800’s, the Creole and Cajun influences of Southeast Texas, the cowboy cooks, and the more recent influx of Asian and African migrants. All of these cultures have made their mark in this great State. This seminar offered a chance to connect the dots of these culinary cultures by pairing these distinct cuisines with the wines of Texas. We had 3 flights of wines, 6 total. The event was held in the AT&T Conference Center and Hotel at the UT campus. I felt like an idiot as I forgot my camera, but luckily, there was a really nice lady who sat next to us and took some photos of us and the food and wine we experienced. Once she gets the photos to me, I will post them.

We enjoyed food from three restaurants: Maria Maria, The Carrilon and The Gage Hotel. The three chefs, Josh Watkins, Octavio Benavides and Paul Petersen, all created some really great meals. The tomato soup was a hit with everyone in the room. They also served a Shrimp Taco that was very memorable.

David and I got to talk about his company and how it all started. Man it was interesting. We had a really good time enjoying the seminar.

photo by: cabotono